European Breakdown cover

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

European Breakdown cover

Post by boristhespie »

I am member of RAC but their euro cover is huge. Also saw most limited to 30 days. I wll be away 5 weeks.

Any recommendations for cheaper breakdown cover. Not sure repatriation is as important given this would only cover the last few days?

Any thoughts.
C'est pas possible!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Repatriation is VERY important.

I've been with the RAC for nearly 30 years and have been repatriated to the UK twice after catastrophic head gasket failure, the first 17 years ago and the second about 10 years later.

Both times they paid for hotel accomodation and transporting back to our house in the UK. The first time was also on our way out and paid for the hire of a Range Rover with tow bar (I was towing a big trailer) for 10 days.

I would hate to think how much that would have cost!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Depends how much you car is worth, if like mine the repatriation costs more that the car is worth they won't do it unless you pay tthe difference.

Peter
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If you go to quoteline direct and buy Europ Assistance cover through them you get it for £59 and I can vouch for it being an excellent service having recently had cause to use it.

https://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/break ... dCode=INQQ
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

I'm with More Than full cover in europe etc etc.£65 but take a look at this company.
http://www.icbreakdown.co.uk/compare.php £69 for full europe cover.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I can recommend Europ Assistance. Their cover begins up to 2 weeks before you leave just in case your car packs up before you go. I had to use this a couple of years ago and got a cracking **** Galaxy 1.9td Auto to tour round France in. Briefly considered buying one after that, but stuck with the Synergie.
Be warned though, your insurance won't get you towed off the French autoroutes although it should reimberse the costs.

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Europe Assst are limited to trips of 21 days. I need 5 weeks.

In note the frogs don't really have this type insurance. Basic recovery available as extra option in their car insurance but basic is the word.

WHy nobody taken advantages of this gap?
C'est pas possible!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Been looking into this myself recently, take a look at ADAC, the biggest recovery company in Europe (16m members). They are German based, but cover the whole of Europe, including the UK. They sub-contract the AA here in the UK, so if you use it here, you get an AA van. They have no age restriction on the vehicle, and you are covered in any vehicle you happen to be driving.

I'm hoping to go to the Nurburgring in August, and ADAC are one of the only companies that will recover you from there. The AA will just laugh at you, even if you aren't on the 'ring but happen to be nearby! They can also have a medical helicopter to you within 15 minutes anywhere in Germany.

I'll be going for the "ADAC Plus" package which is 78 euros, cheaper than my UK only AA policy. They seem to have a very good reputation, so it seems like a bargain to me.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thanks for that. Had a look only a German website do they have an english one?
C'est pas possible!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

They don't have much in the way of english stuff. There's an english membership form floating around somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is. I have been a member before and it wasn't a problem. I just emailed adac@nrh.adac.de with some questions, I got a very quick reply in english. You could email and ask for further advice.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thanks for that. The first question I'll ask is whether they will repariate my car to the UK from Europe.
C'est pas possible!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

They will repatriate, provided the cost does not exceed the value of the car, which is par for the course.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

OOOOOoooooo! If I can get my head around the German I think I mat=y be saying bye bye to 130 quid UK only RAC.

Nice find. I'll let you know how it goes but the price is VEry atttractive for what you seem to get.

Just wondering if they have English speakers should something go wrong?

And if these guys can do a truly European service like this as standard why can't UK breakdown companies?

Look to the bottom of the page

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2004/j ... ourholiday
C'est pas possible!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Not had to use them myself, but anything I've read on car forums suggest that there's no problem language wise if you have to phone them.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I have RAC UK until Nov but their Euro cover is extortionate. So have been looking into these guys and am going with them in tandem for the euro cover, which also has travel insurance included. They email back quickly and in very good english. They accept us all and are pan European the insurance is worldwide. Cheap as chips and very very good.

Incidentally if you break down here its the AA who do it for them and this is cheaper than the AA!

All forums say great things. At last a truly reasonable euro cover. Thanks for the tip.

They even include the "ring"
C'est pas possible!