COM2003 - airbag connector position

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronel
My Cars:

COM2003 - airbag connector position

Post by citronel »

Hello,

I have a big problem:
unfortunately I succeed to remove the flexible connector airbag at steering - COM2003 ( with ESP ) and now I don't know how to put it back correct.
I made a try but when I tested flexible connector was unplugged from PCB connector so I fail.

Anybody can help me how to put it back correctly the flex ?
Drawing on my picture will help me to understand so please try it.

COM2003:
the white part it is rotating also...

flexible connector on mobile connector,
you can see the black slide that press on withe part from first picture:

thank you
L.

maybe this way ?
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

well I am good to pay...

I am looking to buy a broken Valeo COM2003 ( with ESP ) but with front plastic panel ok and flex connector intact.

It is enough the front plastic panel if the flex and cap was not opened before:

Can be found on car with ESP 407, 307, 308... C5-II, C3... Xsara

pic:

front panel but without connector and cap:

very important flex cap sealed, not opened:

back COM2003:

label:
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I wouldnt bother messing around trying to reasemble this once you have taken the lid off the centre coiled ribbon wire it is very difficult to get it right again. not only that if the wire becomes trapped when you are driving like it did on mine you will not be able to steer properly it can jam the wheel so much that youy will not be able to steer.
fortunately this only happened to me at very low speed. if I had been on the motorway I probably wouldnt be here now.

get a new one or a second hand one and fit it as a whole unit no need to strip it down at all.

I have spent hours messing around with these units and always ended up going to a scrap yard to find another complete unit to save money besides the scrap yard value is only £5.00 if that.

if you find one similar from the right vechicle always check the plugs as they tend to differ significantly across the whole range.

my 1.9 td S2 xantia one could not be found with the same plugs the steering wheel radio connectoir was the same and the air bag connector was the same but the connection for the radio controls which connects beneath the left hand side of the steering colum under the dashboard had to have a modification done.
I had to solder in the correct plug off of the old one.

fortunately the plugs beneath the dash are numbered but you will need a magnifying glass to see the numbers on the end of the plug, are five brown wires, disconnect one at a time and solder in the old connector splicing it with the orriginal one so that you have a choice of plugs in the future should you need them.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

I succeed to repair.
I had to modify a little the design and now it is on my car for a week without problems, I hope my work will last.

I am still looking for another unit damaged but with good flex connector if anybody have one to sell because here in Romania people try to sell this SH units for more than a decent price at ~100-150E from cars with >100.000km.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

good luck with that I only hope it doesnt fail and collapse on you when your driving at speed jamming the steering completely. mine lasted several weeks before this happend.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

thank you.

From what I seen the only thing that can happen is the foil to break if it is not proper installed and will be tensioned at full turning; no chance to jam the steering wheel because it is to fragile and it is plenty of room inside.
To be able to install proper I had to remove the white plastic that can be seen in the pictures.

First time when it break I don't even sense at the steering.
falling-out-with-my-car

well done for getting it back together Mine was a circular unit and not like yours, the top that hits the back of the flasher/signal/indicator arm to switch off the /flasher/signal/indicator/snapped off of mine and jammed the steering wheel completely.

Hopefully this will not happen with yours.

good luck.

best wishes.

Nigel.
haydent
My Cars: Citroen C5 II HDI

Re: COM2003 - airbag connector position

Post by haydent »

Hey, you didnt get down to the pcb level did, particularly the rear side where of where the wiring loom connectors go ? in my COM2003 there is a little gear with a magnet on it that get incrementally rotated once per steering wheel revolution. sound familiar ?
falling-out-with-my-car

it was seven years ago mate I have no idea Ive given up on the xantia and just bought a C5 exclusive.
I seem to remember not stripping it down and replacing the whole part as it has broken.

cheers Nigel.
haydent
My Cars: Citroen C5 II HDI

Post by haydent »