help with noisy c5 2.0 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sportingfiat
My Cars:

help with noisy c5 2.0 hdi

Post by sportingfiat »

right got a real bad rattly noise on my c5 its coming from the drivebelt area

took the plunge tonight and had all the drivers side wheelarch plastics out and on tickover everthing is fine between about 1100 rpm and 1500 there is a right rattle sounds like the engine is gonna fall out!!

the only thing i can see that is out of true is the big wheel that drives the aux belts, when the revs are between this point it seems to be out of true after the 1500 revs it seems to sit straight

is this an easy change or is it linked further in?

cheers
andy
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Sounds like my current problem:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... sc&start=0

Do the aux belt test, ie, take it off, then you might be able to tell if it's the (then isolated)crank pulley, or something in the aux belt loop. Mine sounds like it's coming from the lower tensioner.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

That will most likely be the bottem pulley (crankshaft pulley) worn out.

The pulley is made of two parts with a rubber damping block in between them, the rubber parts company with the metal and hey ho you get a knocking noise.

The last one that we had in the workshop sounded like the big ends were knocking.

As for the price, I think it was about £130 inc vat but this may differ model to model, as for doing it, it's just a case of aux belt off, pulley off, new pulley on and belt back on, not a biggie by any means.

Regards
Martin
sportingfiat
My Cars:

Post by sportingfiat »

think that sounds like first call then, thank god for brother in law at eurocarparts, family discount is quite healthy :)

hopefully get on tomorrow :)
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Pleiades wrote: As for the price, I think it was about £130 inc vat but this may differ model to model,
Martin
Martin, i came across this when browsing the 'bay for a tensioner, and was suprised how cheap it is..cheaper than a gsf tensioner!,let alone citroen!

I know the fleabay pic is tiny,but what do you reckon to it,looks like a bargain:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...