00 Synergie Hdi Fuel Pressure Regulator Problems.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cathal1976

00 Synergie Hdi Fuel Pressure Regulator Problems.

Post by cathal1976 »

My 2l Hdi has started displaying engine management light for last few days. Brought it to amin dealers for diagnostics and am informed it needs new Fuel Pressure Regulator(think part no. 1933.38). Full fault reads 'permanent fault. fuel pressure regulator/sensor consistency. consistency between fuel regulator current and pressure P0191'. They quoted me €424 plus vat for the part alone!!!! Does anyone know where one of these can be picked up cheaper/seconhand??? Is it a big deal to replace??? Even where in the engine is it???

Also showed up 2 temporary faults:
P0235 turbo pressure signal. coherence with atmospheric pressure.
P0335 engine speed coherance.

This is a clean regularly serviced synergie with only 58,000 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the bank a/c is not great at present!!!
Regards, Cathal
00 Synergie Hdi
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Cathal
There can be a number of reasons for this. One is the connections to the high pressure sensor on the fuel rail. Another is a faulty regulator on the high pressure pump. Bearing in mind that your Synergie was registered in 00 and has approx 60,000mls there is a strong possibility that the electric in tank pump is playing up. These pumps are a regular source of trouble. As they run all the time whilst the engine is running they do considerably less miles on a vehicle on slow stop-start runs than they can do on a high mileage vehicle which spends most of its time on main roads.
Failure of the in tank pump will eventually cause the car to stop.
First of all have someone remove the fuel filter and check for any trace of copper/brass dust or tiny fragments in the filter or filter housing. If any are present the in-tank pump is on its way out.
One problem with the Bosch filter is that they have to be properly located in the housing. I have seen them wrongly fitted which is the same as having no filter.
Some of the debris generated by failure of the in-tank pump can also get through the filter
The high pressure regulator has a very fine filter (<2micron) which can block and bring on a variety of faults.
Replacing the high pressure regulator is not terribly expensive
They are easy to replace and cost approx €150 from a Bosch dealer e.g. Cleary's in Kiltimagh (I assume you are in Ireland) Non genuine regulators are available for less from other sources (see other threads on this forum)
The in tank pump is also available from bosch dealers. It is usually supplied as a complete unit along with the fuel gauge sender. The pump on its own is also available at a much lower price than the complete unit. Again try Clearys or GSF in Dublin.
racingraymond

Post by racingraymond »

I have a 2001 Synergie hdi that I replaced a faulty pressure regulator on about 6 months ago,had no problem untill a couple of weeks ago when the engine just died whilst I had been in a traffic jam for about 15 mins,it did start again and drove fine but the same symptons that I had had previously returned,ie running on when switching the engine off.I had originally replaced the regulator with a pattern part which was 1/2 the price of Bosch so I concluded that I needed a Bosch,I have done the job and have had no problem since.I sent my faulty regulator back to my supplier because it was under gaurentee,they tested it and have just told me the filter/gauze in the regulator was clogged up with muck which looked like bits of rust,the guy told me the fault would happen again if I didnt clean my tank and my fuel lines out.What are your thoughts on this,would you recommed taking the tank off and cleaning it out ? What about putting another filter system in to run along side the existing one ? Any thoughts ?
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The Fuel rail pressure is regulated by the High Pressure regulator. When the pressure rises to the required level the needle valve in the regulator is opened in a controlled fashion by the ECU allowing fuel to return to the tank and preventing the pressure from rising any higher. If the gauze is severely clogged the flow is restricted and can result in an overpressure fault. The ECU responds by shutting down the low pressure pump in the tank and the engine stops. Normally the engine can be restarted shortly afterwards. Removing the filter gauze might bring a long term cure or it may not. The fuel which passes through the HP regulator is returned to the tank so the only thing likely to be damaged is the regulator itself. Indeed some of the Bosch HP regulators do not have this filter at all. High pressure regulator faults are often first noticed by the driver when the engine runs on for a short period after switching off the ignition.
Fitting an additional filter seems like a good idea. Remember that the filter and its housing will have to be able to withstand 3Bar working pressure. One option would be to use the filter from a VW with a PD engine which also uses an in tank pump. Some other vehicles like the Iveco Daily use a pre filter but it is positioned between the tank and the low pressure pump. In this case the pump is positioned along the chassis not inside the tank. I do not think that using a petrol filter from eg a petrol engined 806, synergie or ulysse (which is ok for the pressure) would be successful as the filter medium might be too resistant to the flow of diesel.
If there appears to be rust etc in your tank I would recommend cleaning it out. First of all make sure that it is dirt not copper or brass from the comutator of the in tank pump.
Lastly remember that these engines regularly cover 300,000Km with only standard servicing every 20,000Km (12,500Mls)