Berlingo rear tyre wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

comvoc

Berlingo rear tyre wear

Post by comvoc »

Hi has anyone had the same problem as me with the rear tyres, I drive a new berlingo van 1.6 hdi diesel short wheelbase. The tyres on the rear have worn out before the front which is strange, The original tyres were michelins and lasted 20 k miles the front lasted 29k miles. the rear tyres were badley worn on the outside edge the front tyres wore evenly. I replaced the tyres on the rear with Continentals and after only 9k miles they have worn down to 2mil on the outside edge but the inside edge is hardly worn. The dealer said the rear wheels are fixed wheels and cannot be adjusted. I have had the suspension cheched and it is ok. I dont carry very much weight so that is not an issue. Has anyone else come across this problem with tyres. I dont really know what to do next apart fom spending a fortune on tyres every 10 k which is not really acceptable.
Thanks
Al
Allan
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There is another thread about tyre wear on the new shape Berlingos. With the rears wearing faster than fronts.

Its reasonably common on cars now for some reason. I know the C4 Picasso is heavy on rear tyres too and usually needs new rears before the fronts are worn out.

We had a Scenic II which was the same, scrubbed off its first set of michelins at 19K miles on the rear, the fronts lasted until 22K miles. The dealer said if we didnt replace the tyres (we already had) which michelins they would wear out much faster. They said they had seen scenics eat through rear tyres in well under 10K miles if fitted with cheaper tyres.

The reason is the tracking is a mile out on the rear, toeing in by quite some way. For some reason this is a set u a lot of cars have now, supposed to be for stability but im not sure how. It can make the car sidestep on bumps though and really wears out the tyres.

Most cars are non adjustable at the rear so looks like its something you will have to live with.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
comvoc

rear tyre wear

Post by comvoc »

Thanks for your input, I dont suppose you know which thread is about Berlingo rear tyre wear im new to the Forum not sure how to go on
Cheers
Al.
Allan
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Looks like you have already found the link.

With the scenic there were tolerances, if the toe in on the rear was within the set limits then it was fine, even if the tyres lasted 20k. Few cars were not in the set limites and had new rear beams fitted.

Its the same on a lot of cars now, very little can be done. :?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10