ZX cambelt fitting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the info Jim. I'll check the pulleys as you describe.

What do you mean when you say the belt installation must always be "started" between cam and pump sprockets? I started my belt installation at the crankshaft, then up to the pump sprocket, then to the cam sprocket. Are you saying it should start at the cam and go clockwise to the pump, then to the crankshaft?

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes exactly that, i think it dose say this in the hayn e ass BOL,

this is the other rule of thumb to install the belt clockwise startting at the cam,

the idea is ment to bring all/most of the slack to the adjusting tensioner,

as Jim say's use a length of copper knickle brake pipe for locking the crank, my reason is if i forget to remove it before cranking the the engine, i can still yank out the bent over locking pin,

a trick i learned whilst timing dersh's,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

the_weaver wrote:Are you saying it should start at the cam and go clockwise to the pump, then to the crankshaft?
That's how I've always done them Paul, finishing at the waterpump. Cam, pump, crank, waterpump, tensioner... This way you finish on a sprocket (waterpump) that's always free to move a few degrees. Ensure the runs between cam, pump and crank are pulled tight, otherwise you can end up a tooth out. This is why it's so important to spin over by hand a couple of revolutions and recheck timing fully.

I do the same on 8V petrols. May not be officially correct but it works for me.

Make sure always the tensioner is fully retracted. It's easy not to do so and then find there's still a 1/4" to go. The belt, in my experience, will only fit with ease when the tensioner is fully retracted.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Your way goes in the opposite direction to the Haynes manual Jim, but both finish at the water pump, which is good because it's a small sprocket and easy enough to get to. I'll have a go using your method next time I do a cambelt.

Paul
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

CitroJim wrote:
The belt installation must always be "started" between cam and pump sprockets. .
I guess everybody develops their own way of doing jobs. Personally I always start at the crank pulley and go anti-clockwise round. To keep the belt's teeth in place on the bottom pulley, I hold it with a small soft faced cramp.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the reason i belive it is correct to fit in a clockwise direction startting at the cam, is you need all the slacl to end up at the tensioner, also it is the way i was always shown at garage's i have worked at' this includes a citroen service agents,

also if and were needed (usualy the cam sprocket) i use a clamp like the type used by market traders to hold the tarp's the there stands, and they have plastic covers on thee jaw's,

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for all the info. I could have done with one of those cramps/clamps for holding the belt on the crankshaft pulley. I'll have to get one for next time.

Paul
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

citronut wrote:th i belive it is correct to fit in a clockwise direction startting at the cam,
Just been looking at my Autodata CD and the install instructions vary from engine to engine. For instance on the 2ltr HDI it does say start at the cam pulley and fit clockwise. On the earlier XUDs it says start at the crank and go anticlockwise. Also on my Saxo it starts at the crank and goes anticlockwise.

Any ideas why it should vary?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Maybe the difference is due to different people writing the manual. It may not matter which way it goes but the person writing the manual has a favourite way.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive it dose matter' as i said earlier all the slack needs to end up between the back of the cam sprocket and the tensioner,

regards malcolm