Hdi crankshaft pully

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

racingraymond

Hdi crankshaft pully

Post by racingraymond »

My 2001 Synergie Hdi developed a fault last night,when I started it a metallic sort of grating noise was coming from the aux belt area,the ignition light was also on,I had to drive home so took a chance,a few 100yds down the road I felt a slight surge and the noise had gone and the ignition light went out,I carried on for a few more miles and after I had braked quite sharply the noise started again and the ignition light came back on,after a few 100yds it cleared again and was fine for the rest of my journey of about 45 miles,I started it today and no noise,I had assumed the altenator to be at fault but have noticed on some other threads that the crankshaft pully can be worn,any thoughts ?
Thanks
Ray
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

"a metallic sort of grating noise"

From my reading of HDI issues on the Forum, if I were you, I'd be checking it out pretty quick, partly to check out how serious it is, and partly to avoid risk of breakdown, with the added potential risk of further damage to engine. Once you've identified the problem, you know what the risks are of not fixing it immediately. Not sure I'd want to use the car until prognosis complete - hope it's easily fixable
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

you need to be careful because if the pulley breaks up completely or if the alternator belt gets shredded it has been known for the bits to get inside the timing belt cover and take out the timing belt.
Fix it now while it's a cheap fix.
Keep driving and it could cost a lot more
racingraymond

Post by racingraymond »

Trouble is that it is fine now,but will have a look at the pulley tomorrow and see if I can spot any wear.I am inclined not to drive it,I dont like the sound of it when it is making the noise :(