Xantia Steering Rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia Steering Rack

Post by RichardW »

As expected picked up an MOT failure this morning. There is a fluid leak from the steering rack area (which I knew about, didn't think was that bad, and hoped he wouldn't spot - but he claimed to be able to see it dripping - maybe this was with the engine running, I have only looked with the engine off). I am hoping it is just a pipe that needs a bit of a tweak, but if worst comes to worst anybody got any tips on removing the rack (like, take it to a garage who have done it before and have a proper 4 post lift!)?
Richard
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

RW -
No idea to how you best remove the rack.
But an idea to where you may find the problem :
Probably leaking worn O-rings in the pinion valve.
On the BX this leads to LHM leaking out the gaiters of the rack.
If the leak seems only to come from the flat ram end bellow, it's probably this bellow that needs replacing, since it should have a leak-back plastic pipe to the reservoir, and the bellow may have cracks right where the pipe fits.
I think both pinions valve & rams are available as reasonable recons, if worst come to worst.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Thanks Anders. I had a good look at last night and cleaned it all up a bit. It's only *JUST* weeping, the MOT man must have been looking at it just as it dripped - the one drip every 50 miles - the bottom of the subframe is hardly even wet. Leak is around the pinion end, but not the top pinion seal, and not leaking out of the end of the rack gaiter. I got 1/4 of a turn on the main supply pipe so I wonder if that was what was weeping. I took it for test drive and gave it plenty of lock to lock action but couldn't see it leaking. Will have another look in a couple of days after the good lady has driven it a few miles - maybe I need to get it on stands and work the steering back and forth to spot any leaks. FWIW Haynes gives removing the rack 4 spanners, but it seems pretty straightforward - not sure how you separate the the pinion and steering column though....
Richard
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Cheers RW -
Cross fingers it was only a leaking pipe joint.
Had the same problem on my present running BX, with a leaking joint at the rear 4-way pipe union. Turned out to be bad work, the mechanic replacing the pipes for last owner had put in the pipe seal before the pipe, thus the pipe had penetrating the seal. Common problem if you do not put the seal on the pipe when nipping up the pipe nut.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Shaft will come away from the pinion splines on removal of the U/J's pinch bolt, shaft should also push upwards and slide into steering column.
Dave
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Cheers Dave. First review of status seems to show that nipping the supply pipe union up has cured the leak (fingers crossed!!).
Richard