bought 58 plate C5 exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hdi_man
My Cars:

bought 58 plate C5 exclusive

Post by hdi_man »

I've had a Peugeot 207 hdi for 4 years and wanted a bigger car...so after months of looking at Mazda 6, passat, mondeo, insignia etc. I kept coming back to the C5. it was just different in a good way!

finally got a good price on a 58 plate 2.0 hdi exclusive manual. picking it up on Saturday! looking forward to trying out all the new gadgets and the quietness with the laminated glass.

one thing I really like is that you don't see many C5's about, its good to stand out from the crowd !

one thing I really liked about the 110 hdi engine was how it liked to be redlined, it was so smooth. After 25k miles it seemed to loosen off and give even more power. I am hoping for similar things from the 2.0 hdi
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Re: bought 58 plate C5 exclusive

Post by Trainman »

hdi_man wrote:one thing I really like is that you don't see many C5's about, its good to stand out from the crowd !
You should try driving a C6 :wink:

anyway welcome to the FCF
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I really like the 2.0HDi 138 16v diesel engine, very refined but has lots of pull and is extremely economical for a big car. Though i think the new C5 is a little heavier than our version.

You dont see too many, but they are around, the ones you do see are usually coil sprung though.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
logiclee
My Cars:

Post by logiclee »

I'd suggest downloading the manual from Citroen's web site and reading through all 296 pages ten times before you collect the car. :D :D :wink:

Seriously though I had read through the manual before collecting the car and it's really worth doing as there is just so many different gadgets, buttons, scroll wheels and displays.

I've had mine a week now and just about got it suused apart from the electric Handbrake which still catches me out.

Cheers
Lee
2009 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Auto. Storm Grey.
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

had a look at the manual last night Lee, actually all the controls are similar to my Pug 207 so only a few new gadgets to learn. hopefully I've made a good choice with the C5, much nicer to look at than mondeos, insignias etc !
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The only downside to a C5 over those two cars is that the C5 is now a saloon, which is fine unless you need a hatchbacks boot.

You will be far better off in the C5, who wants an Insignia (what a name!) or new mondeo, awful overly huge cars.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

saloon is fine for me boot still big enough.

just read this review about people feeling sick with hydractive suspension, seems odd as most other reviews say its excellent on motorways...felt Ok on my testdrive also...

http://www.euroleasedirect.co.uk/citroenc5review2.html
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

hdi_man wrote:just read this review about people feeling sick with hydractive suspension,
Horses for courses.

He's wrong, of course; the Hydractive hydraulic (not pneumatic as he wrongly states) suspension is one of Citroen's gems in an increasingly bland world.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The boot is big on the C5 saloon, though would be useless for me with two dogs. Id have to have the tourer :(

As a passenger i do feel sick with Hydraulic Citroens on undulating roads, but on motorways its fine. Fortunately im rarely a passenger and i love the ride as a driver.

I bet your looking forward to getting it 8-)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

yes looking forward to picking it up on Saturday!

when I tell people I've bought a C5 they mostly look at me with blank faces, some say "oh a French car" lol - little do they know
logiclee
My Cars:

Post by logiclee »

hdi_man wrote:saloon is fine for me boot still big enough.

just read this review about people feeling sick with hydractive suspension, seems odd as most other reviews say its excellent on motorways...felt Ok on my testdrive also...

http://www.euroleasedirect.co.uk/citroenc5review2.html
That is listed as a review for a 2.0HDi Manual VTR+. A car that is fitted with coil springs!! :roll: :lol:

It is a bit floaty for rear seat passengers so I usually hit the sports button when the kids are in the back.

Cheers
Lee
logiclee
My Cars:

Post by logiclee »

So come on then what do you think? :wink: :lol:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

logiclee wrote:So come on then what do you think? :wink: :lol:
Quite, tell all as I popped into Citroën's HQ yesterday and was very tempted,,,,,,,,,,,, :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

what a car! picked it up yesterday and couldn't stop looking at it, so much kit and quality feel to the interior, very, very quiet as well...easy to speed as you just don't realise how fast you are going !

driving 1st impressions: very quiet, don't really notice soft suspension as talked about in reviews, then again I'm no car journalist ! to me it feels good and solid and soaks up the rough roads perfectly.

friends impressions: they all think it is big and luxurious looking, like a limo. My dad has an A4 and he even admitted that the interior is better than his Audi ! (they are overpriced IMO)

it been getting a lot of looks at the petrol station etc. as there are not many about in this part of the country either.

so all in all , very please so far. pics to follow....
logiclee
My Cars:

Post by logiclee »

hdi_man wrote: don't really notice soft suspension as talked about in reviews, then again I'm no car journalist ! to me it feels good and solid and soaks up the rough roads perfectly.....

Most reviewers will rave about the Mondeo's handling with the sport pack and 18" alloys.
My last Mondeo with standard suspension and 17" alloys (50 series tyres) was much firmer than the C5 is in sport mode. The sport pack models with bigger wheels are much firmer.
So to most reviewers the C5 is very soft.
I dont miss the road noise and the thud of the suspension around town but the Mondeo's steering is truely excellent and I do miss that.

But with todays road conditions and speed limits I'd had enough of the firm ride. The C5's ride and refinment is streets ahead of the Mondeo.

Cheers
Lee