1.9 TD Front pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete.fair

1.9 TD Front pipe

Post by pete.fair »

Hi al, I have a 97 TD with a cat, can anyone tell me if the front pipe without the cat can be used instead of. Will an exhaust place fit or refuse because the standard is with a cat. Any help would be appreciated.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

They will refuse. It will fail MOT. You are not allowed to drive a ´97 car w/o a cat.
pete.fair

Post by pete.fair »

Thanks for that, just phoned around and National tyres were the cheapest at £178 inc. , so not to bad I suppose the most expensive was Ebley at £260
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that whilst its illegal in the UK to drive a diesel with the cat removed , its not actually an MOT failure point. Is this correct ?
When I last looked at an MOT testers' manual (June 2002) it made no mention of cats on compression ignition engines at all. The car just had to be capable of passing the smoke test, whether it had a cat or not.
Nick
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Are we talking Xantias here? If so, your 1.9TD must be one of the first to have a cat fitted. At the end of '96 they had neither cat nor EGR. Early in '97 cats were fitted, followed by EGR/cat later in the year. If you don't have EGR, my guess would be that you could 'lose' the cat.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

In answer to the question I can confirm that the non cat pipe will fit, I know this because I took the cat off my car when it was 6 months old! As stated the car will not fail the MOT test because the cat's purpose is to reduce Nitrous Oxides, whilst the test is for smoke density only. My particular car is a 1997 1.9TD and has passed every MOT test first time. As far as EGR is concerned, as it is fitted to the exhaust manifold, it has absolutely nothing to do with the exhaust pipe, and is not subject to test. The result of doing the above alteration is increased performance and improved fuel consumption. Why? well a cat is basically an extra filter/blockage to exhaust gases exiting the engine. If anyone is not happy making the change and would like to get hold of an excellent condition front pipe with cat, please contact me I could do with the space!