Got a loud rattle around the serpentine/aux belt area[FIXED]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Yay!!!

Post by HDI Dave »

Finally, my engine is happy again :D It was indeed the bottom/crank pulley.
Had a heck of a struggle getting it off, (picture 3 extension bars under the wheelarch,then onto a t bar with a 4 foot scaff bar on it,muscles bulging,red hot day...) oh i was not a happy bunny.
Wife says "check the 'net n chill". So i did, and found this:
CitroJim wrote: My method for a tight pulley is to use the starter motor to help...

Make sure the gearbox is in neutral. Make sure there are no timing pins anywhere in the engine. Make sure the engine is immobilised so it cannot possibly start.

Use a beefy 22mm socket on a good stout "T" bar and trap the "T" bar under the wishbone or other convenient bit of chassis. The idea is to hold the crank bolt absolutely still whilst the starter motor turns to undo it.

After all that is done, just blip the starter. The crank bolt should shock loose a perfect treat. It may take two blips.

It soulds brutal but is perfectly safe and very effective :D
Jim, excellent, cracked it off in exactly 2 blips of the key,on my own,no need for a brake presser etc..bloody fantastic! Thankyou, I even chuckled to myself and raised a brew to you,as it was too early for a tin :wink:

New fleabay pulley went straight on.Guessed at bolt tightness..fair old wrench on my scaff bar.*later found out it's not as highly torqued as the wheel nuts..so should be ok* Belt on, and yay,she's alive and well again :D
£90 spent,'bay and gsf.

After all the hassle that pulley has given me, i gave it some serious payback :twisted: - plus i'm just nosey and wondered how it fit together...and Mr Grinder was looking bored..
@ Xac, here's how it's set up:

I'd guess it's the large metal shim type thing,near the rear that rusts away more than it being the rubber at fault? It's well rusty, and thin...?

Cheers all, Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

HDi Dave wrote:...and Mr Grinder was looking bored..
:lol: made me laugh!

The crank pulley should be F tight BTW - something like 60ft lbs PLUS 60°. With loctitie! You don't want it to work loose, so it might be worth re-torquing it - and consider replacing it - a new one is a couple of quid from Citroen and comes ready loctited. If I remember I'll look the torque figure up later.
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I agree with Richard, I'm sure the IDI crank pulley bolt is a stretch bolt and should not be re-used. I think they're about £7 from Citroen and come with threadlock applied. It'll be worth cleaning and chasing the crank thread before refitting too IMHO.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Autodata gives 37 lbf ft then 60°

New bolt is £3.41 from Citroen (P No 00000516A4 )
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Yay!!!

Post by CitroJim »

HDI Dave wrote: Jim, excellent, cracked it off in exactly 2 blips of the key,on my own,no need for a brake presser etc..bloody fantastic! Thankyou, I even chuckled to myself and raised a brew to you,as it was too early for a tin :wink:
That's great news Dave :D Just the job!

I've always done that bolt up truely FT.

A while back we missed a photo opportunity of me tightening up a pulley bolt as FT as possible (for reasons that are not relevant). I used a breaker bar with my foot on the end of it and I was braced against someone else to get just a little more force behind it.

Normally I use an 18" bar and as much force as I can muster.

Note that this applies to Diesels only. Petrol XUs are done up to 88 ft. lbs. They do not need to be eye-poppingly tight.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:I've always done that bolt up truely FT.

A while back we missed a photo opportunity of me tightening up a pulley bolt as FT as possible (for reasons that are not relevant). I used a breaker bar with my foot on the end of it and I was braced against someone else to get just a little more force behind it.
As there's not a lot of you Jim I provided the anchoring point :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: As there's not a lot of you Jim I provided the anchoring point :lol:

:lol: :lol: Shame we never got a photo of it Richard...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...