2.0 HDI Tuning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Is tuning a 2.0 HDI worth-while ??

Poll ended at 22 May 2010, 11:48

Re-map
56%
Tuning box
44%

Total votes: 9

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Some 2.2's have been known to hit 18o+ bhp IIRC as the IC's are quite big on C5's and the Exhaust and turbo is decently specced as well and nudging more onto 400nm as well but this is a push on the engine when used and needs to be serviced regularly.

Saying this the 2.2 unit from toybota is capable of 180bhp and a decent amount of torque and even more with a tuning mod but i think their units are too stressed at this point. Not sure how the PSA units have coped though at this rate of push as i haven't had need to look into it myself but im sure there must be a good google search waiting to be done on it as the same unit goes into many other cars that PSA have??
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I have been running my MkII Hdi Xantia with a chip box on it. Big difference and it can be removed if needed. Big difference in torque, increased mpg and a better drive. Cost £100 thats all

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
amjake

Post by amjake »

I'm running a Synergy 1, from rover ron, on a C5 HDi auto.

Advantage is that it has 9 different setting options and if you need to remind how the C5 felt you can just switch it off!

Was £150 but long guarantee and if switch cars has a return to base for plug change and re tune.

Wouldn't be without it makes an impressive difference on the performance of the car.
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

I am changing car next week so there will be one for sale for £80 posted if anyone is interested. Connectors and tune for Bosch 90/110 hdi.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I can't find the "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it." option on the poll...
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It's interesting to read about the benefits and advantages of tuning by the two methods. Is there any evidence from anyone regarding the disadvantages. Premature failure of DMF or transmission damage?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Theres no direct link evidence as far as I am aware but it stands to reason that if extra power is exerted on transmission components they would wear quicker. But i guess that depends highly on your use of the extra power.
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

kaostheory wrote:http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=178713

Here ya go

Edit: TU3 is what the synergy used to be called.
Thanks for the Link
it was good to read
:wink:

I will be fitting the Synergy next week and will be going on a long(ish) journey for me at the beginning of October approx 500 miles.

I can then compare fuel Economy against the recent 42 mpg (brim to brim filled) which I got over a distance of 474 miles of mainly motorway,A-Roads and around 30 miles of urban town use.

BTW my trip computer showed 43 mpg on the above mileage so was over reading by only 1mpg so is pretty accurate, shame it's not under reading
like Citreonmad's cars though!
:)

Fuel computer was showing 45.7 mpg before I done the urban mileage
and best I saw was 47mpg on it during the journey.

I look forward to the better throttle response and pulling power in 4th/5th gear especially below 30 mph on inclines and will report back on it.
Regards
Tim

03 Citroen C5 2.0 110 HDI VTR Mauritius Blue 109K
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

amjake wrote:I'm running a Synergy 1, from rover ron, on a C5 HDi auto.

Advantage is that it has 9 different setting options and if you need to remind how the C5 felt you can just switch it off!

Was £150 but long guarantee and if switch cars has a return to base for plug change and re tune.

Wouldn't be without it makes an impressive difference on the performance of the car.
Sounds great, So what setting have you settled on after playing about with it?

I have read most people leave it on setting 5-6 ?
I really want to fit it now but not insured till Saturday with it!
:(

I have also read the trip computer will not be as accurate and will over read alot more with it on but by how much time will tell...
I will be comparing this on my next long trip in October.
Regards
Tim

03 Citroen C5 2.0 110 HDI VTR Mauritius Blue 109K
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i have a c5 110 hdi and i put a tuning box on it, i think there is too much that can go wrong with remapping and its more expensive, i get good mpg i average 44 mpg with most of that short journeys around town, on a run i get 55+ according to the computer but i think that is reasonably accurate, it pulls very well according to the tuning box site i have 133bhp and it will come off and go on to something else when c5 goes,

my father has a c5 110 same as mine and he thinks mine is far more powerful
con67
My Cars:

Post by con67 »

I'm not going to vote as imho it depends entirely on who remaps the car, beware there is some serious cowboys out there. A crudely tuned diesel will still go rapid compared to standard, problem is you'll have turbo/clutch/engine/dpf replacement intervals intead of service intervals with a bad map. Its the torque that puts pressure on everything not the hp btw and a bad tune will have a big torque spike.
As for the immo, the data is held on a seperate chip on these particular ecus, it can in theory be disabled through the 'flash' (where the map data is held) but its alot of work and highly unlikely unless its an engine conversion with no keys etc