Xantia or 406?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia or 406?

Post by Fox »

As I've posted previously I'm looking to change my Xantia in a while. I really like the look of the 406, and several times now I've decided a 406 Executive will be my next car. However every time I then see another Xantia, or get in my own, the doubt sets in and I start thinking that I really ought to get another :)
What would you choose and why - a 99 Xantia 1.9TD SX, or a 99 406 1.9TD GLX/Executive/ 2.0 Turbo Executive?
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Hi Fox, i think you've answered your own question there,xantia evertime mate.
Alex Sh

Post by Alex Sh »

Hi,406 is more fun to drive ,the steering feel is better. I am in the same dilemma for my next car.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I don't know what it is which draws me to the Xantia. It's not exactly fantastic looking, and the handling isn't best in class, but there is just something about it...
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I know someone who wen't from a Xantia 1.9Td to a 406 1.9Td and was shocked at the lack of performance compared to the Xantia. Seems like the 406 is a heavy car for the engine.
Mat.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Depends on how much you like your comfort.......and driving a car that is different.
If you are really thinking of a 406 why not just get a rover and a cloth cap?
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I thought the Xantia fitted that description more than the 406 - I get enough jibes about it as it is ;) (I'm 19)
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Nah, the Xantia is for an individualist, not a stereotype. Lurking under it's relatively ordinary skin is a mass of technology and idiosyncrasy. If you are worried about what others think then perhaps the Xantia is not for you, but if you like knowing something they don't then go for it.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Oh I'm not worried. Image doesn't bother me at all (Hence my choice) - I'm just interested to know which is the better of the two cars. Sounds like I ought to follow my 'heart' and go for a Xantia II after all :)
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

I've test driven several Xantias and one P406, mostly 1.8 16V. My choice is definitively Xantia MkII (non-HA). I found ride comfort in Xantia better on all surfaces, while handling was only marginally worse (well, it's not very important to me either). Also, I didn't like 406 brakes - you need to step on the pedal with whole weight to activate ABS. Build quality and other things are similar.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Part of it must be whether you regard the technology of the Xantia as worthwhile or not. As you will have seen from a recent posting even AlanS thought that perhaps the time had come for a change but quickly thought better of it!
For my part I purchased my BX TD Estate very cheaply about 3 1/2 years ago as I was bored with my Renault 21 and it needed loads of minor repairs. I well remember sitting in the pub with my wife having a long discusion along the lines of 'what have I done now' and coming to the conclusion that it wasn't that much money anyway if it didn't work! (In fact I couldn't get it over 35 on a test drive - turned out the throttle pedal had broken!)
Since then I have had the fun of learning all about the hydraulic system, my first encounter with ABS systems and have now beaten the thing into submission and its working very well (today at any rate!) My question now is that if it continues to go like this is will I get bored with it and long for another challenge.
For my part if I do replace it it will probably look for a Xantia estate but would not go for a 1.9TD as they seem slower than the BX. I've seen good reports of the 2.1 TD and the HDI 110 seems interesting. Some of the more extreme ones seem interesting but they are all petrol and I don't like paying for fuel these days.
For my part I like the suspension and feel that when its working properly it offers real advantages over a conventional steel setup. What I really like are the fully powered all disc brakes and their loss might put me off a C5.
I keep getting asked when I'm going to change it - and I always say whats the point - (Its probably done twice the mileage of the cars belonging to those who ask). My priorities are that it should be reliable, safe and comfortable and pleasant to drive and it keeps me amused as well (well its better than doing the kitchen isn't it!)
Well if its going to go nicely for a bit I'll be able to get on with my 16 valve! - What about one of those for you Fox - I don't know what the insurance would be like for you but presumably you have a bit of bonus now - hours of fun with one of them! - and probably sufficiently extreme that you wouldn't feel the urge to change it!
Jeremy
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I have a Xantia 2.0 turbo Exclusive Estate and I wouldn't swap it for anything. In fact I'm going to have a hard time finding a replacement when the time comes. There doesn't seem to be much around with the same combination of space, power and equipment and a manual 'box.
I've seen lots of complaints about the hydractive ride but it's softer than the BX19TZI I had and though it is a little harder than my prexious Xantia SX it more than makes up for it with the grin it put's on your face when the Hydractive and turbo kick in.