Which spheres do i need to change?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Which spheres do i need to change?

Post by vince »

Hi guys, just having a read of the official Citroen training manual on hydractive suspension....One paragraph interests me greatly....this one:

If the hydraulic pressure is not sufficient, the
additional sphere remains isolated, which, when the
engine is switched on, can cause a slight jolt.

Which mine has now started doing sometimes.

As you may know my car (95 Xant) has had an on / off soft to hard mode suspension issue for some time now. Mostly this has been suspected as a duff rear electrovalve even though it buzzes as normal for the 30 second interval whent he doors are opened etc.

The rear of the car does not rise when you sit on the boot lid unless the engine is running highlighting a flat rear accumulator.

From the paragraph above im now of the opinion that as the rear suspension pressure is low due to this sphere and also no doubt the other rear ones, (they are all old) that this is leaving the third centre sphere isolated resulting in hard mode on the rear for a period of time. This does reset itself to soft after a few minutes at idle which is no doubt the rear suspension getting back up to full pressure therefore unisolating the rear centre sphere....

Does that sound plausible? If so should i just replace the lot?

P.s. The manual on the XM forum is the business.....it should get posted on here :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

vince I would have thought you were in the position to get the lot vat free matey, so why not change the whole lot and with a permenant marker pen put the date and year on the front two spheres so every time you lift the bonnet you know how old they are.

pleidies fits them to for the same price as GSF by the way. unless you can get em cheaper that is.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The paragraph you quote above is refering to line pressure (from the regulator) not sphere gas pressure. bad spheres will not stop the electrovalve opening. Your problem is probably either a weak spring in the electrovalve (as documented by Mandrake), or low pressure due to an out of calibration regulator.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Oh bugger.... :lol:

I dont suppose changing them will do any harm....they need doing anyway :wink:

As for writing on the spheres....a good idea sure, but id rather keep the invoices and write on them. If i had writing on my spheres it would drive me mad everytime i saw it....ive unfortunately developed a bit of an OCD for things looking how there were intended to look :oops: :lol:

I know i need help.... :roll: Plus a new / fixed electrovalve :lol:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The rear end not rising when you sit on it - theres is no rear accumilator sphere at the rear that controls this, this feature is still fed from the front accumilator sphere..

So my guess is flat engine mounted accumilator spere, and possibly Flat rear strut spheres and "Hydractive" sphere, which on the Xantia, is mounted above the rear subframe on the drivers side..

The anti sink sphere - in the centre rear, doesn't have an effect on the "Sit on and Rise" exercise, its mearly a reserve to hold the car up when its started again after sitting for some time, to prevent the car from sinking..

In other words, as in my TD Anti sinker, the car stays up while the engine is stopped, so the anti sink valves work, however, in the mornings when I start up, the anti sink valves open and the car drops untill the pumps caught up.. this is due to the anti sink sphere being flat.. and I beleve its all it does.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its a duff accumulator sphere that will prevent it from rising when you sit on it, but as suggested I would change all of them, especially the centre ones, they are responsible for the soft ride.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Vince, did we not replace your accumulator about a year ago now?

If I recall, your car was showing a slow tick in hard mode and a fast one in soft, signifying a leaky electrovalve.

Ignition off, pull out F8 (the Hydractive fuse in engine bay) start up, let pressure come up and then switch off and try the "sit in the boot" test.

It is critical this test works before proceeding...

Check again the tick rate in forced hard 9with the fuse out) and then in soft mode with the fuse in. Only in and out the fuse with ignition off...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Peter.N. wrote:Its a duff accumulator sphere that will prevent it from rising when you sit on it, but as suggested I would change all of them, especially the centre ones, they are responsible for the soft ride.

Peter
This is only true when the engine is OFF as theres no reserve for the height corrector to use up... its a good test for the Accumilator otherwise..

Of course, with the engine running the car will come up.. but no movment sugests dead strut sphere..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I assumed that was what he meant :D
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

CitroJim wrote:Vince, did we not replace your accumulator about a year ago now?

If I recall, your car was showing a slow tick in hard mode and a fast one in soft, signifying a leaky electrovalve.

Ignition off, pull out F8 (the Hydractive fuse in engine bay) start up, let pressure come up and then switch off and try the "sit in the boot" test.

It is critical this test works before proceeding...

Check again the tick rate in forced hard 9with the fuse out) and then in soft mode with the fuse in. Only in and out the fuse with ignition off...
Yes we did Jim so im reasonably convinced thats ok. the front corner ones were also replaced at the national rally. The rear spheres are all undoubtably "past it" as they all look rotten......The tick rate is still 8 seconds when the engine is running. I will test the fuse out thingy though Jim and see what difference it makes to the tick rate :wink: