Cylinder head off - funny 'growth'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mat -
Since smoke is the problem - then it's da..... important to be 100% sure what kind of smoke it is.
I'm a bit confused about the idea that WHITE smoke should be caused by oil ??
How does the smoke smell ??
There's large chances that lots of oil/water has collected in the exhaust due to the original problem and the lengthy time the car has been at standstill.
Also - could it be that simple - that your fuel is contaminated with foreign matters - like paraffin (petroleum) which is known to give thick & heavy white smoke much like water.
Y's ago I once used a carbon dissolver/remover agent - and that stuff was like having nice WHITE fluffy clouds falling down from heaven on engine restart - for hours.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Ok Anders, I see you point.
I'm currently draining the oil ( 10W40 ), and will replace it tomorrow with 15W40 ( new filter ).
I would discount contaminated fuel, I tend to fill a full tanks worth, and we're at 1/4 full at the moment, I would have expected problems beforehand ?
If I stick my finders up the exhaust pipe ( ooh err.. ), there is a thick gunge with a distinct oily smell, I appreciate your comment about it being left over from before, so I may take the jetwash to it ( being very careful, of course !
I'm trying to think of ways of completely taking the turbo out of the equation, but the only way I can see is removal, which poses two problems.
a) noise
b) the two lower bolts holding the turbo to the manifold are an absolute b****, and we ended up taking the turbo out with the manifold from the top.
If I could disconnect the turbo from the exhaust, that would elimitate or pinpoint that as being the cause.
Mat.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[:o)] DOH [:o)] just exploded into my eyes by rereading - that your engine is turbo fitted.
My confusion on white oil smoke was that the oil would be more or less used as fuel - and then appear as black/grey smoke/sooth.
But if you have a turbo oil seal problem (exhaust-driven-side) - then this will be the smoke origin - since the oil then vapourises in the hot exhaust giving white oil fumes - rather then getting carbonised in the combustion.
This fits the observation that smoking only is observed on load.
Another indication would then be a greasy exhaust tailpipe - even a greasy spot on ground under/behind the tailpipe.