Xantia - Rear subframe mounts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Xantia - Rear subframe mounts

Post by Dommo »

Hi all

I've got a clunky back end on the Activa over bumps and I reckon it's the rear subframe mounts. Reason being is theres quite a bit of play between the subframe and the underside of the car. As I understand it, they mount to the car in a similar way to a 306 (which I've replaced before on my 306), ie, a bolt through the boot floor, a nut inside the boot floor, and a bolt from underneath up through the subframe and into the mount?

There's a good 1cm of play in this joint which seems very excessive if you ask me (am I right?), so I'd like to replace them. But the parts from Citroen are very expensive, talking £150+ for two, and theres four to replace. GSF have a 'set' of rear subframe mounts, I assume this is all four, for £90, however it's their own brand. And eurocarparts have some for a similar/slightly cheaper price, but again, with no brand next to them.

Are there any recommendations on where to get decent quality mounts that aren't a million quid?

Thanks, Dom.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dom,

Only the aft "sandwich" mounts are the same concept as on the 306. The fore mounts are totally different and do not bolt tightly to the floor. In fact a bit of play with the subframe unloaded is normal enough. Not sure if a cm is normal though; that does sound a lot. I fancy about 3/16" would be what I have observed in the past.

I can imagine they're expensive because generally they don't fail. If they do then they will be a right &%%*$$ to replace... They are pressed into the subframe and after ten years of rust, they are there for good...

If it will help, I can go, compare on the Activa project and also take some close-up pictures of the mounts in question.

For the record, sandwich mounts don't seem to fail all that often either... They're a doddle to replace and do bear a check.

Activa-specific: Assuming your ram bush is OK (normal cause of your symptoms) then do check the top balljoint on the ram and also check the balljoints on the ram's opposite number, the drop link.

Clunks can propagate from the front and sound like thy originate in the rear too.

Finally, rear arm bearings. Unlikely but possible.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Cheers for the response Jim. I will have a look at the rear drop link and ram ball joint at the weekend - stupid late shifts... I'm certain it's not the ram bush however, it seems much too deep sounding to be that, however I will check it to make sure!

If I can get it on a photo, I'll try and take a picture showing the play in the rear sandwich mounts if I can.

I also didn't realise the sandwich mounts are pressed into the subframe. The odd thing is, when I pry about with a crowbar down there, the bolt that goes up into the mount from underneath, and the whole subframe, move about, suggesting the mount is what's flopping about. Or it could be that the nuts in the boot floor are loose?

Anyway, cheers for the tips Jim, I'll let you know how I get on, and then if it's no problem is there any chance you could measure the movement in your rear subframe mounts? Thanks, Dom.