new to me

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

low-slow

new to me

Post by low-slow »

i have just brought a lovely lil xantia estate

2.0L petrol SX

have a few issues

1) front is a lil bouncy and crashy
2) if you put the sus down when you park, it take an age to raise again and the stop light comes on after upto 5 minutes it'll go off and raise straight away
3)side lights work work HIGH beam works but not dipped beam

fuses are fine, i know theres no relays but what would make both dippeds not work, (the lil green light shows on the dials)

help fed up of takin the clio only out at night

thanks charlie
living life low and slow
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

1) and 2)
Could be you need new suspension spheres, just over £22 from GSF.
Also you should check your LHM level; get your engine running, set suspension on high, pop open the bonnet and check the clear dome on the LHM resevoir (black square tank at the back of the engine bay), the orange disc needs to be between the two lines.
While the engine is running, listen at the front of the engine, there should be a tick/click from the regulator where the accumulator sphere is. If it's ticking more than once a minute then it's time to replace the accumulator sphere.
Check the 19mm nut on the hydraulic pump where the metal pipe is screwed in, it's seal eventually goes and starts to leak. New seals are approx 79p from dealers, get 2 as there's a 19mm blanking plate on the back of the pump that uses the same seal.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
low-slow

Post by low-slow »

i topped the level up when i got it

came with owners manul
living life low and slow
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Regarding (3) , the dim dip resistor could have corroded connectors or be faulty, this can cause some odd effects.

I'm assuming high beam works off the switch, not just the 'flash' :)

It's a round metal cannister (silver typically) about the same size as those clipper lighters, say about 2.5 inches long and about 3/4 inch diameter with three wires into it. I'm not sure where it will be located on a Xantia though, won't be far from the engine bay fusebox / relays, although hiding it up inside a box section (or next to the radiator) is not unknown.

Unplug it and clean the connectors, try your lights with it unplugged and then plug it in and try again.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Sounds as though you will be needing new front spheres for definate.

Would be a good idea to check the colour of the LHM fluid and see if its still a nice fresh green colour, if its dark in colour a good idea would be a flush and renew the fluid.

Does the car look a normal height from the side, are both front and back pretty even for height when in the normal setting? A high or low end can make it more harsh. Though my first thought would be the spheres are done.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
low-slow

Post by low-slow »

Citroenmad wrote:Sounds as though you will be needing new front spheres for definate.

Would be a good idea to check the colour of the LHM fluid and see if its still a nice fresh green colour, if its dark in colour a good idea would be a flush and renew the fluid.

Does the car look a normal height from the side, are both front and back pretty even for height when in the normal setting? A high or low end can make it more harsh. Though my first thought would be the spheres are done.

yes is level and in the middle setting and is harsh going down the motorway and like bounces

it's dipped beam (normal headlights) that dont work high beam and side lights work as normal, flasher and full beam are fine

how do the headlights get their power

as normal cars have relays?
living life low and slow
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep its the shperes, sounds as though you need to replace both front suspension spheres. It should be a very soft ride, especially on motorways.

So its the headlights which are not working? Did you check the bulbs? Could be a slim chance that they have both gone.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
low-slow

Post by low-slow »

stuck in a brand spanker on the easy side (i have aircon) and nothing
living life low and slow