re just a few probs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidm2
My Cars:

re just a few probs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by davidm2 »

guys your not gonna believe this but............. both caliper bolts just sheared off rear caliper (Im Doomed) ive got a 1993 vsx for parts would it have the same rear arms as my 1995 sx
oh ps when i took the wheel of the rear disk had dissapeared just the hub left, why do I always buy dogs!!!!!!!!!
cheers
dave
Jon

Post by Jon »

The arms are only different if the car has ABS, i.e. if both cars have ABS then OK, if both cars do not have ABS its OK, if one does and one does not then they don't interchange.
This is because the ABS type arm has a hole for the ABS sensor.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm SOoooo glad you decided to investigate the brake problem [:p]
- not to kick you while you're down - but I HAVE to pray you really have guts left to do the front brakes too - I'm a bit scared what you might find here also .... [:(][xx(]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Unless I'm missing something obvious, why the thoughts about swapping the arm ?
Surely if the bolts have sheared, the caliper is now free, and you can use a drill and an eazy-out to get the remainder of the bolts out of the arm, and simply replace with two new bolts ?
davidm2
My Cars:

Post by davidm2 »

yes i thought about drilling them out but read a posting on this board that the chances of being succesful were slim, i will try anything, just thought the bolts being hardened it would be very difficult
cheers
dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Your fears are right Dave -
These bolts are hardened steel bolts. Since they sheared on trying getting them out by normal means, there wo'nt be any chance getting them out by these normal means.
However - trying to make the sun shine a bit for you - I have a wellprooven hint, that worked for me several times :
Borrow a small hobby wire welder (if you not have one), then weld on to the (even under surface) stud left a - CLEAN pure steel nut (not galvanised !) any good size - like 17 or 19 mm head.
These nuts you can buy cheap in amounts by weight, and you need quite a few to have a succesfull go.
The heat from the welding will loosen the rusty thread on the stud left, and ease unscrewing by the welded on nut.
You need to remove the arm though, to have the stud facing up for the nut resting on it while welding. Simply fill the centerhole on the nut with welding to make it bind on the stud.
Be sure you get 8-8 steel nuts - these wo'nt melt down easy as the "hobby" quality steel nuts.
Good luck