Rapid Tyre Wear - Xantia 2 HDi 1999 110bhp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mine is doing exactly this too. It wore out the Goodyears I had on it till November last year, and the snow tyres I have got on it at the moment have gone the same way. The wear appears to be a long way across the tyre, rather than just right on the outside as you would expect with tracking off. I initially assumed it was tracking off, ie too much toe in, but adjusting it for more toe out, just made it dive into the ditch! It does seem to suffer a bit of power steer - it runs right with the power on, and left when you lift off, so I can only assume that the P bush is shot and the arm is wandering about. There does look to be a bit of play in the bush, but it didn't even warrant a mention on the recent MOT :? I wonder if the HDi 110 suffers this worse than other cars due to the high level of low down torque. Mine is not due to roundabouts, as there aren't many round here - most of my driving is open A roads :P
Richard W
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Obvious thing but no one has mentioned it, the main cause for shoulder wear is tyre pressure. If the owner is a bit lapse with tyre pressure checks a low pressure does speed up tyre wear, especially on the edges as the tyre is allowed to roll easier and further.

I find Citroens quite hard on the shoulders of tyres, they scrub under a lot when on full lock and will do similar when cornering fast too.

I find our C5s wear the tyres out on the outside shoulders first, though the tracking is spot on. I run them at the lower recommended, slight lower maybe, pressure and corner quite fast. Its not excessive wear though.

How many miles is the car in question likely to have done in those 5 months?

Some tyres do have very soggy sidewalls, which will make the shoulder wear more rapid.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

I could think of 2 prob causes.one's turning into the corner not driving round it ie scrubbing it round so it understeers and not using the power to take it round the corner and out.as front wheel drives like to be powered by using throttle not left to go round on a trailing throttle or they understeer.
Other can be from back end if rear arms are worn and tracking out will cause it to drag on corners or rear brakes binding like when caliper corrodes etc.
but i'd go with first as so many people don't know how to corner. amd balance car with throttle/brake/steering
xantia 19td estate 96-7