C5 Sat nav - stuck in France....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Ive spent the morning hunting round for a download to test Kevs theory but without luck. I dont want to buy a real one (or even an Ebay one), only to find that the SATNAV is terminally ill!
Any clues?
If you have a link to one it would be greatfully recieved!
Cheers
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

This is almost certainly an aerial base fault. Very common fault, A replacement base has to be off another model with satvav.
See here > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... erial+base
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you do replace the aerial base, I might be able to mitigate your costs a bit :-)
I need a base with working amplifier for radio reception, but no need for sat nav (I have a seperate windscreen antenna for that). So if your radio works OK, with the expected sensitivity, and you're interested, drop me a PM...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I'm not sure that I can post the link directly on this forum because of the nature of the software.

If you search using google but put in 'BMW VDO Carin map torrent' you should find a suitable link.

The BMW sat nav uses the same map data as the C5 (and Renault, Peugeot and a few more). The C5 system is a VDO Carin unit.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

I think I'm heading towards getting another Aerial, so I'll probably PM you (dsney) once I have, my radio is fine. That is if I actualy decide that I want the SatNav back - cos I hardly use it! Watch this space.
Still going to try the CD route once I've managed to download one!
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
etak
My Cars:

Post by etak »

Hi Jim,

I am having exactly the same problem with my C5. Did you end up sorting this out? I tried a new map CD (thanks Kev!) but this did not help. My GPS is behaving like it is going south when I am going north, and all of the things that you mention in your problem, including it thinking its in France. (Maybe it's a Citroen thing? - wanting to go back home - LOL).

Would appreciate any feedback as I am going for a drive in France next week and would be nice to have the GPS working!

- etak.
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive SE 02 Plate
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

FWIW I wouldn't jump through hoops or spend a lot of money getting the unit working. IMHO as a navigation aid it's pretty useless, can't work out differences between shortest and quickest routes and the actual maps seem to be lack detail in areas which have seen redevelopment over the last five years.

I suspect that even the cheapest GPS from Halfrauds would do better and the one on my mobile phone certainly does.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

I never did get that new aerial...but now the radio has got really bad too. I guess the problem is an amp in the aerial itself. Taking it apart it looks fine, no corrosion, no dry joints etc etc. The main Amplifier IC is no longer made, and there isnt a pin for pin replacement. Also the chip cant be bought anywhere, I guess as it was just sold to Manufacturers.

So, I either live with no/V poor radio and no Sat Nav (SN I can live without)..or bite the bullet and buy one
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No help with your problem but as I absolutely despise radios, when going through the carwash I removed the aerial and never bothered putting it back.

The radio still works fine though, whenever the RDS/TA cuts in or I accidentally knock the control stalk.

I had expected it to be rubbish or not work at all.
It is rubbish but just the usual inane waffle type rubbish, not the no-signal type rubbish I was expecting.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

I guess you just took off the stalk, not the mount? The mount has the amp in, and I guess its good enough (when working) for the radio to be fine without the aerial stalk.

But yes...no help for my problem!
Thanks anyway!
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yes, just the stalk. Filled the threads with Vaseline to keep the water out.
Perhaps a second hand unit from a scrapyard would fix you up?
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

I did look around when it first started dying, but they seemed few and far between...also would be mainly on older cars - so I guess they would be getting ready to die too...
Ebay charges about the same as Citroen (i recall the only one I could find there was about £90, plus P+P - real ones are just shy of £100).
Never mind. All part of the pleasures of owning a citroen...
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

There is as I remember within the aerial amp on the roof there are actually three separate parts. There is an amplifier for the FM radio connects to the whip aerial, a separate aerial for the GPS powered from the GPS and a coupler unit for cell phone to the aerial plus power for the thenn on gps bits. so from this unit there are three co-ax wires that go to the centre console.
Given that most FM radio's don't need an amplifier if all that is required is good FM then it shouldn't be to much of a problem to rip the PCB's out of the unit and connect the FM coax direct to the whip aerial connection.

It is worth noting that there are several versions of the roof unit and depend on trim level the one I have described is for an exclusive but I suspect that one from an LX may have little more than the FM stuff in it and that may not even include the amplifier.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC