C5 Sat nav - stuck in France....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimleshed
My Cars:

C5 Sat nav - stuck in France....

Post by jimleshed »

Hi All, just found this forum, looks good. (I could have done with it when I was fighting with my FAP!)

I have searched for an answer to this problem, but without luck!

My C5 2.2HDI exclusive has sat nav (CD under drivers dash) and usually it thinks I'm not where I am.... It is very rarely showing my actual location. Its currently stuck in Northern France, showing my location as somewhere on the Isle of Wight!
Is there any way to reset it, or get it to actually be a Sat Nav? Ive tried taking out the Cd...but that does nothing.
It usually seems to drift off when the compass goes wrong, but what controls that?
Cheers Guys, and thanks in advance.
Jim Le Shed
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Maybe issue with satellite reciever?
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forum :)

A recognised problem is water ingress into the aerial base that degrades the signal.
Also the aerial is powered and the feed can suffer from corroded contacts.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Thanks for the reply....
I guess you mean the roof aerial? and I need to take off the inner lining and clean it all up a bit?
Ive never taken out the lining in a car....Hard Job? And I bet its one of those where you never get it back quite right!

Hmmm...while a lack of signal may answer some of the question, does the Sat Nav define the Compass setting too? Thats often (for example) pointing south while I am heading north!

JLS
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

jimleshed wrote:Thanks for the reply....
I guess you mean the roof aerial? and I need to take off the inner lining and clean it all up a bit?
Ive never taken out the lining in a car....Hard Job? And I bet its one of those where you never get it back quite right!
Yes, it is the roof aerial.

Never done this, touch wood. My info on this is second hand. If it has suffered from water ingress you may need to replace the whole aerial base.
Check that it is actually powered before tearing it all to bits.

Hmmm...while a lack of signal may answer some of the question, does the Sat Nav define the Compass setting too? Thats often (for example) pointing south while I am heading north!

JLS
Couldn't say personally, don't have inbuilt satnav.

Hang on for more suggestions!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

jimleshed wrote:Thanks for the reply....

JLS
Yes once it knows where it is it can work out which direction it is heading, which is not necessarily the same as the direction the car is pointing :-)

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

No need to remove the roof lining. You can get at the nut securing the aerial base through the rear interior light aperture. It's a bit fiddly to refit, though, as the base isn't directly under the aperture.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Hi. JLS

Try this forum.. I have used them and found it a very useful forum, just like FCF :D

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Just taken off roof aerial, taken apart (after trip to halfords for Mini Torx). Everything looks as clean as a whistle, no corrosion. Got voltage too.
Two tiny PCB's look ok (My job involves small pcbs so all I can say is they look ok after a brief peek with a X10 Loupe - might be other problems i cant see)
Is there a connector anywhere, or do the aeial leads run straight to the Sat Nav somewhere?
Cheers all.
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Just a thought...the voltage is only 11V - so wherever the feed comes from may be corroded and high resistance...anyone know where the connector is?
Cheers
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The sat nav aerial plugs into the back of the CDrom drive down by your right knee.

The wiring diagram I have shows just two wires running from the CDrom up to the receiver.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Thanks Kev, I'll take a look at that tomorrow!
cheers
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Sat Nav out.
Cant see any problems with it, but then I'll only see the obvious...its not exactly DIY friendly inside!
All connectors look fine, only other guess might be a break in the aerial lead somewhere...I'll see if I can buzz it out, unless any other idea's are forthcoming...
Cheers all
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

One other possibility would be if your map CD is somehow faulty.

I recently found a torrent download for '07/'08 maps for this system. I burnt it to CD and it works perfectly. You could try this as an easy way of checking your sat nav with another map disk.

edit: The map info is passed along a fibre optic cable to the screen controller. You could check that the fibre cable is properly secured to both the CDrom and the screen controller ECU.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

jimleshed wrote:Sat Nav out.
Cant see any problems with it, but then I'll only see the obvious...its not exactly DIY friendly inside!
All connectors look fine, only other guess might be a break in the aerial lead somewhere...I'll see if I can buzz it out, unless any other idea's are forthcoming...
Cheers all
The fact that you have 11V at the aerial says that the lead from the SatNav box is good. Most GPS 's that I have come across that use an active antennae which is what I guess one of your pcb's are feed power to them down the antennae cable same as an LNB on a TV sat system.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC