Xsara Starting Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

county2000

Xsara Starting Problem

Post by county2000 »

Hi,
Hoping someone can advise on this.
I have a 2004 Xsara Estate which is intermittently failing to start. I can hear the starter solenoid operating but the motor doesn't sound as if it's turning. Sometimes it will start okay, other times after 3 or 4 tries but this morning it must have been 30 attempts over 45 mins before it started.
I suspect that it could be the contacts on the starter solenoid or motor brushes but just wanted an expert to tell me if there is anything else that could be at fault before I go forking out for a new one.
My starter is a Valeo, but I notice several different makes available for this model eg Bosch, RTX. Will any of these fit or does it have to be a Valeo?

Thanks in expectation

Dai
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It certainly sounds as though it's starter motor related. An auto electrician would be able to tell you whether its motor or solenoid. You could get a replacement on an exchange basis where the one you get will be a rebuilt unit. On exchange you could get one for around £85.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
county2000

Post by county2000 »

Thanks for the reply John.
I'm pretty convinced it is the solenoid contacts, but I was just worried in case it could have been something else such as the ignition switch or even the immobiliser though I don't know how that effects the starting circuit.
Next comes the hard part - removing the thing, it took me 20mins to find it last week!

Dai
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Having disconnected the battery (important) , its worth taking the heavy leads off and examining them (both ends of the earth and positive and the engine / gearbox earth lead and the main heavy feed to the starter too)

Although even rarer (but I have seen this) the small thin 'start' wire to the starter (the feed from the ignition switch really) could be loose if its a eyelet type connection or corroded if its a spade.

It's not unknown for corrosion to have effected them, although I'd guess this would cause a permanent issue, but its worth checking these that they are clean / sound and generally OK. The only cost in this is time. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
county2000

Post by county2000 »

Thanks Andy I'll certainly try that first.
It's odd that some days it will start first time every time but then will just click for a number of times before operating. It could well be a bad connection somewhere.

Dai
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Take the starter motor out & oil the shaft that the gear runs on as it could be dry & sticking.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
county2000

Post by county2000 »

Thanks Uncle Buck,
I'll try that too.

Dai
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or if your realy unlucky it could be the fly wheel ring gear teeth chewed up at one point,

next timer it dont start try with ignition off put it in gear hand brake off and rock it to nudge the fly wheel round a bit, to try to find a section with good teeth,

a fly wheel usualy stops at one of two points when you switch the engine of, and it will more often than not be one of the same two points,

regards malcolm
county2000

Post by county2000 »

Thanks Malcolm
Hopefully that isn't the problem as I can't actually hear the starter motor turning, and also when it failed the other day it eventually started without the flywheel being moved. I'm getting more convinced that it's the solenoid contacts or a bad connection. Going to remove it tomorrow to have a good look, weather permitting.

Dai
county2000

Post by county2000 »

Have fitted new starter motor, but now after reconnecting the battery the immobiliser light on the dash is lit and the car fails to start. The remote central locking also does not operate. I have tried various 'fixes' that people have posted but no joy as yet. Does anyone have a definitive fix for this problem or is an expensive trip to Citroen my only option?

Dai