lumpy start and white smoke 1.9 td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Mike any ideas on what could be causing the Black smoke at higher revs its fine untill you hit 30 ish in lower gears then it gives out a small cloud of distinct black smoke and it does this moreso when its cold.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Tom, you can leave the leak-offs, I guess you best decide which offends least - replacing the leak-off's or the clouds of smoke - not saying it'll fix it mind.

I'm not sure how your engine management is configured - is it electronic? Possibilities can be boost leak (if turbo'd), overfuelling, timing, intake or exhaust blockage.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Synergietom wrote:Mike any ideas on what could be causing the Black smoke at higher revs its fine untill you hit 30 ish in lower gears then it gives out a small cloud of distinct black smoke and it does this moreso when its cold.
Is it "...black smoke at higher revs", or should it be "at higher revs it's fine"?
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

sorry mike yes its Black smoke at higher revs.
Ive recently had the timing belt changed allong with the water pump which i had to pay a mobile mechanic for as i couldnt get the bottom pully off.
This was only changed as the timing had slipped a tooth.
He did a great job and was pretty cheap at £50.
I have noticed over the past couple of weks that it keeps losing a little power but not for long sometimes its a little slugish in 3rd when trying to pick up a bit of speed and othertimes its fine allthough being such a big thing its never really been very quick but saying that ive not had it long and being my first citroen who knows which of the problems ive allready fixed where allready there and which ones have appeared since i bought it.
I think the engine management is electronic but cant be sure i keep finding two pin plugs everywhere not connected to anything.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Perhaps it's best you get a Lexia session if there's electronics involved otherwise only thing I can think of causing black smoke at high revs would be a boost leak.
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

would a boost leak cause a small amount of under the bonnet when first starting coming from the manifold which rolls from the top of the engine round to the back. The intercooler (small rad ) connects to it via a hose
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Small amount of what Tom? Exhaust smoke?
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

sorry mike im not very good with computers
Yes its exhaust smoke its not much and i did at first suspect it was just a little oil id spilt when servicing but that should have burnt off by now
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

It is possible exhaust is leaking though it wouldn't be from a boost leak unless the EGR is open on starting, could be the exhaust manifold gasket?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, I'll go along with a stuck-open EGR valve but it's not common.

Try disconnecting the vacuum line to it Tom...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

thanks guys ill try that before i do anything else allthough im still thinking of replacing the leak off pipes being as ive allready got the pipe and to be fair it cant make things worse.
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Can anyone tell me where my nearest Lexia owner is please as it may be worth a session anyway at least then i may be able to find any unnoticed problems.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have a look here Tom: Lexia Locations.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, a Lexia can exercise the EGR valve. Mike, can you confirm. It'll be under Actuator Tests...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Thanks Jim unfortuanately it looks like your the closest to me at 85 miles away which is a good hour and half drive.
Would you be able to plug it in for me and see if you cant come up with a solution to all my problems.
Ill be happy to pay for your help as im starting to get a bit fed up with the endless trail of iol running up my arm.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:EDIT: If I recall correctly, a Lexia can exercise the EGR valve. Mike, can you confirm. It'll be under Actuator Tests...
Inexperienced as I am, I haven't seen that actuator test though my solenoid's been disconnected so shows a permanent fault, if that makes any difference?