Xantia Activa

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia Activa

Post by Fox »

Are these quite complex beasts likely to provide no end of reliability problems when compared to a 1.9TD?
Just researching my next car - I'd love one, but the extra spheres and complex suspension worries me.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The Activa version of Xantia is known to be somewhat disappointing for the dedicated Hyd-Cit owner. The Activa system basically tries to overcome the suspension roll of the car, which is generally felt as a disappointing Hyd-Cit suspension comfort.
Guess it was Citroen's way to produce a competetive model for safe (but stiff) highway runners....
I'd say go for a Hydractive Xantia version instead. This system is not optimised solely on Anti-roll, and have the ever so wellknown Hyd-Cit drive comfort.
As to reliability it's the way you calculate it....
The more active components you have, the bigger the likelyhood 1 component will fail at random.
But that's definately not solely a Citroen problem [:)]
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Hi Fox,
I have mixed feelings about my Activa ('96).
It is easily the least reliable car I have ever owned, but few of the issues I have with it are related to the extra suspension complexity.
However, to drive, it is the best all rounder I have ever had so it isn't all bad news.
To summarise:
Pros:
Q-car appearance
Strong performance
Very comprehensive specification
Exceedingly good handling with roll-free cornering
Cheap to buy (albeit hard to find)
Cons:
Poor fuel consumption (34 mpg is best to date)
Relatively high insurance
Extra suspension complexity
Under bonnet area totally crammed
Choppy low speed ride.
I really like the car, but what I saved on the sticker price I have spent on maintenance.
I hope this is of some use to you.
Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

For a full explanation as to how the Activa and other suspension systems work have a look at
http://citroen2.triger.com.pl/kc/pdf/citguide.pdf
As a matter if interest the Activa suspension is apparently so effective it gives the car a cornering performance well up the supercar league, better than all but the latest Ferraris etc - and all on relatively small tyres!
Could be fun!
Jeremy