Identifiying coolant flow & return xantia.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Identifiying coolant flow & return xantia.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

I seem to have misslaid my Bol.

There are two hoses connected to the heater matrix on the bulkhead of the citroen xantia Mk2 smilar to the Mk1.

on both models after exiting the bulk head one goes to the back of the engine head and the other runs across the bulkhead and along the side of the engines head over the gear box connecting to the bottom of the heated fuel filter.

does anyone know please which is the flow and which is the return?

I want to plumb in a flat plate heat exchanger to heat vegetable oil but it must be connected to the flow.

many thanks in advance.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

as far as i remember the flow is from the head through the matrix and back to the radiator :)
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

ahhh hat would be the shortest most difficult to reach pipe then Oh B**Ger. I have been wondering for ease of access if I could take the flow from the oil cooler pipes that go to the back of the oil filter?

regards Nigel
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 27 Apr 2010, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:ahhh hat would be the shortest most difficult to reach pipe then Oh B**Ger.
Naturally :twisted: It's a Citroen and French...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Jim,

as above would it be possible for ease of access to make a connection to the oil cooler hoses that connect to the back of the oil filter?

again I dont know which is the flow any ideas please?

cheers Nigel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Jim,

as above would it be possible for ease of access to make a connection to the oil cooler hoses that connect to the back of the oil filter?
Yes, it would be quite possible do it there. The only issue might be, and this may be critical, is that there will be no heat/flow in these hoses until the thermostat is open whereas if you use the heater matrix hoses, these are in the coolant bypass circuit and warm with the engine independant of thermostat state.

I guess you'll want the veggie warmed as soon as possible so that really might well dictate using the heater matrix hoses.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Why not take it off the outflow from the heater matrix as it won't be too cool for your use :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Identifiying coolant flow & return xantia.

Post by RichardW »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Hi,

on both models after exiting the bulk head one goes to the back of the engine head and the other runs across the bulkhead and along the side of the engines head over the gear box connecting to the bottom of the heated fuel filter.

does anyone know please which is the flow and which is the return?
Are you sure the short one goes to the head, and not to the water collector on the back of the block - which is the water pump housing, and hence suction line? I'm pretty sure the feed comes off the outlet of the head (which is where it's hottest quickest) and returns to the low(er) pressure pump suction housing.
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Forgive me if I'm missing something relative but why not use the original fuel heater supply and return - connected to the fuel filter/thermostat housing?
falling-out-with-my-car

Mike,

I think I spotted that on the scrap yard on Monday, I sneakily went in for some switches and stripped down a car I didnt have to put back together
again call it practice Mode.

the pipe goes into the bottom of the cast section beneath the filter housing
and runs along the right side of the head and goes into the bulkhead.

is this the one you mean? if it is

is it flow or return please, what I am trying to do is avoid any muck comming out of the matrix and clogging my nice new heat exchanger. so the flow pipe is prefered.
unless there is a filter that will cope with the temperatures of coolant.

regards Nigel.