security valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomcol
My Cars:

security valve

Post by tomcol »

W reg. Xantia exclusive.

I am having great difficulty fitting a new pipe from the regulator to the security valve. It is such a small space to get your fingers in to apply enough forward pressure and turn at the same time to get it started. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Access is further hampered by a 1/8" rod that starts just above the port goes back along the subframe around a bolt adjacent to the security valve connection then back again to finish where it started with the last two inches covered with rubber, any one any idea wht this is for and will I do harm in trying to move it out of the way.

Regards tom collon
xantia exclusive dielsel w reg.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's quite a task Tom :wink:

The only time I've ever seen the security valve clearly is when I've broken a Xantia or had the engine out.. Not helpful perhaps but access is much improved with the engine out of the way...

I'd say the rod you speak of is some sort of pipe support, similar in concept to the handbrake cable guide rings. I can't quite visualise it. It's times like this I had a scrapper on the drive to go and look at..

You may be better off loosening the security valve from its mounting bracket and easing it out of the way to give a little better access...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tomcol
My Cars:

Post by tomcol »

thanks Jim

it is a puzzlement it appears to be doing nothing no pipes any where near it. My friend has a 1997 with the engine out and it is not on that model so it mut be 1998 onwards. on the 1997 model just above the access hole for the security vale mounting there is a hole on the subframe which is exactly where the bolt is that the rod wraps around on my model.

the mounting nut for the sec. vale looks to me as if it is square and not hex. seems strange but I will be having a go at it tomorrow.

Tom
tomcol
My Cars:

security valve

Post by tomcol »

Managed to get the union into the port by slitting 1/4" copper tube about one and a half inches long to go around the pipe and splaying the end to wrap around the nut. this small extension allowed my fingers to be just clear of the offending rod ends.
The rod still hampered tightening up so I would advise anyone doing this job to try and remove the rod.
I still can not see what it does with the rubber on the ends maybe to protect pipes but I can not see any apart from the one I have just fitted which is firmly held in the vale and does not need protection.