Despite my best efforts.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Despite my best efforts.....

Post by Stempy »

....the Xantia's going home on a truck :cry: Driving along the coast near Juno Beach this morning I noticed the stop light flickering, checked the LHM level and it was low, looked under the car to see another stream of LHM, this time coming from the front in the vicinity of the height corrector. I'd spotted a Citroen dealer a few hundred yards earlier, but being a Saturday at around noon they were well and truly closed, so had to call for recovery. Hopefully will be meeting up with it again at the ferry in the morning with another truck waiting at Portsmouth. Anybody got a match?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Sorry to hear about your cars problems, are you on holiday with it?

A match would often come in handy when owning a Citroen, though a V6 Xantia is worth the hassle, surely!? :D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear Stempy :(

That's an unusual place to spring a leak.

Two places are a possibility: Oner simple the other not quite so.

Height correctors rarely leak but it's not unknown for their leakage return pipe to come adrift. A simple job to pop it back on. There is a "Y" junction in the vicinity too..

The other is a perished power steering return from the pinion valve. The pipe starts out as metal and then, arouund that area, changes to a rubber one before heading back to the reservoir. They go on the joint and they're a %^% ^^& to replace on a V6.

I agree Chris, a V6 is worth it :D

Check the HC leakage return and "Y" junction before calling in the Dépannage récupération lorry

DO NOT use matches and then have to call the sapeurs-pompiers

Hope it's not spoilt your holiday...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that will probably be the main rubber return pipe from under there somewhere, has perished and split, this chucks out loads of citro blood,

if it is its quite easy to fix as you can usualy cut off an inch or two and re/fit,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: if it is its quite easy to fix as you can usualy cut off an inch or two and re/fit,
On a V6 Malcolm, not a chance :twisted: Even with all the PERCYWOTSIT in the world.

I had to make up a new pipe, all the way from the end of the metal pinion return pipe back to the reservoir..

Not what I'd consider "quite easy to fix" on a V6 but considerably easier on any other Xantia.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I'm now sat in the back of a speed limited recovery truck on the A3 heading home. Thanks for all the advice, didn't even try to mend it, phoned Europ Assist who were absolutely brilliant and highly recommended if you need European cover. To add insult to injury, the the towing eye snapped when I was being towed off the ferry, anyone got a spare?

Will take a look in the week and report back. Personally I think the V6 is worth the hassle but it's very hard trying to convince SWMBO :roll: Luckily it all happened the day before we were due to come home anyway and it saves me the drive back to Calais as we were put on the Caen to Portsmouth ferry.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When I had my 2.1 Xant I had to be flatbedded 40 miles to Malaga after I lost most of my LHM. Fortunately it was taken to an English speaking workshop where they replaced the front antisink valve.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1