Citroen TD 1993, is it head or block?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Citroen TD 1993, is it head or block?

Post by masood_ilyas »

I have a blown head gasket on my Xantia TD circa 1993, it has been on the ramp for a while and the the boss indoors wants back her drive cleared of all the rubbish [:(!].
What aggravated the dear little engine was being driven without enough coolant which caused it to sulk and develop a crack somewhere [:(]. What I need advice on is how can I isolate the area wether it is the head or the bottom block. There is a lovely Sauna type steam comming out of oil dipstick whole.
There is a loss of coolant with building up of pressure in the system preventing proper circulation of coolant.
Is cylinder head change advisable or should I go for a complete engine swap or Is it time to accept the inevitable and junk the old lady even though she is in Kate Moss type appearance with beautifully stamped MOT certificates.
Any advice will be appreciated
timmsd

Post by timmsd »

Buy another one and save yourself the expense and hassle. You will then have lots of spares!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Probably best to get the head off, and get it professionally tested, either it will be bowed, ot there may be an internal (invisible to the eye) crack.
The block, being iron is very strong compared to the alloy head, so the head is usually top of the list of usual suspects.
Also ensure that the rad is not blocked before putting the thing back together, in case that was the initial cause of the problem.