Glow Plug Replacement advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Glow Plug Replacement advice

Post by admiral51 »

Hi All

May seem a strange question but i need to change the glow plugs on my 2.1td. Now i have the replacements but as ive never had to change any before im a little unsure as to the best procedure :oops:

Having read of stories of the plug taking the thread with it etc is it best to do them with a warm or cold engine,do you put grease/copperslip on the new ones :?

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

Cheers

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Colin,

2.1TD specifically, remove the top half of the inlet manifold for ease of access.

Replace the leakoffs whilst you're there as a precaution.

I'd do the glowplugs on a warm engine after dousing their threads in Plus-Gas.

Use a good quality 12mm offset (cranked) ring spanner to undo them. Have a good long one so you can apply steady high torque to it.

Go carefully and there should be no nasties awaiting... Don't jerk at a tight glowplug, just apply steady concerted pressure. It's jerking on a short spanner that breaks things.

Stuff rag down behind the pump to catch any potential escapees.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Jim :)

Have become a dab hand at removing the top half of the inlet manifold :wink: ive done the leakoffs and also replaced the fuel line and both times the manifold cover was removed :lol:

Not a good idea to use a deep 12mm socket then :roll:

Pm sent on an unrelated matter :)

Colin