doing my head in

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

loughy

doing my head in

Post by loughy »

my friend owns a 2003 citroen xsara and when he starts his car the boot automaticaly opens, its not the fob coz he has used the dummy key and it still does it. doea anyonr have any ideas what it could be
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Sounds like something is shorting somewhere Loughy...

For the time being can the tailgate not be examined and the electrical connector unplugged that controls the boot release? Should still work with a key in the lock manually....?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

A basic process of elimination -
Xsara's tend to suffer from broken wiring in the door harness's, this can lead to dodgy operation of the interior light, windows, locks & speakers. I don't recall the year the BSI was fully introduced to the Xsara range but maybe when the drivers door is opened it's not receiving the signal from the lock to tell it the door is open & thus when you switch the ignition on it gets confused & tries to open the doors/tailgate. 3 easy thing to try to start off with would be 1, try switching the ignition on from outside the car through the drivers window (try with car locked & unlocked),2 try entering from the passenger door & see if it happens & 3 inspect the condition of the wiring in both the front door harness's, i've stop counting the times i've seen these wiring harness's break, there's a fair few wires be sure to check them all paying particular attention to the sections that flex/bend the most.
Music keeps me going.