New Berlingo Tyre Wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tuby's Dad

New Berlingo Tyre Wear

Post by Tuby's Dad »

My rear tyres were down to 3 mm on the outside of the passenger side and 4 mm on the outside of the driver side at 12K service.

Just had to put new tyres on the rear at 22K as the tread was completly gone from the ouside of the passenger rear and just visible on the driver side.

Looking at other New Berlingos and Partrners all seeem to be wearing the outside of the rear tyres.

I was expecting nearer 40K from the rear tyres.

Spoken to friend with the old style Berlingo and he got 40K from his rears.

Front tyres have 4-5mm left with even wear after 22K miles.

Is this a problem with all new Berlingos or is it specific to my one?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Seems a common thing on quite a few modern cars now. They often seem to toe in at the rear, its said to be for stability i believe, however it does seem to make them sidestep on bumps.

Have you asked at the dealer? There might be a fault with yours or it might be adjustable? Though it rarely is.

When we had a ScenicII, it wore out its rear tyres before its fronts too, rear michelins needed to be replaced at 19K miles. We took it back to the dealer who said its not adjustable and its within their tolerances. Ives heard of some scenics having rear beams replaced as they were towing in so much. We replaced the tyres with michelins again. the service managaer at the dealer said he has seen scenics wear through tyres in 7-9K on the rear if a cheap tyre brand is used :?

Id take it to the dealer and see, though its probably normal for cars now. I know C5 picassos get through rears in a similar time.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
pk7478
My Cars:

Post by pk7478 »

Rear suspension of almost all B9 cars is a headache of most all owners.
But I've never heard that B9 have problems with wheel angles.
comvoc

rear tyre wear

Post by comvoc »

Well it seems you are not alone, I have the exact same problem. I have a new Berlingo van. I changed the rear tyres at 20k miles, the front at 29k miles. They were all michelins. I put Continentals on the rear to replace the worn out michelins which had worn badly on the outside edges, I now have 2 badly worn Continentals after only 9k miles. The outer edge of the nearside tyre is down to 2mm and the inner edge is as good as new at 5mm.The Dealers dont want to know. I have had everything checked out and they say it is a characteristic of the veihcle, Goodbye and dont bother us again. I think there is a problem with the rear wheel alignment but it cannot be adjusted as is a fixed wheel. It was manufactured that way and in my opinion is a design fault, although they wont admit it. I am going to try Michelins next time see if it makes much difference.
Allan.
Allan
petexx691

Re: New Berlingo Tyre Wear

Post by petexx691 »

Hi all, I too have a 09 Berlingo with rear tyre wear. whilst both rear tryes are showing signs of wear the nearside one wore away down to the cord. The drivers side has worn down but is still legal.
I have had the Berlingo back to the dealer a he referred it to Citron UK who in turn has had my dealer jumping through hoops doing various tests and reports. Citroen UK has final accepted there is a fault and the car goes in on Wednesday this week for a 're-alignment' of the rear axle. Not sure if this will work but I will go down this route.
Will report any additional work in the future.

For those who are interested in details, the car had done done about 19K when I first noticed the problem, front wheels were ok but rear nearside tyre was feathered on the outside of the tyre for approx 50mm. By the time the car had done 22K the nearside rear tyre was down to cord. Similarly, I have been told that Citroen will not replace the worn tyre but the dealer has persevered through.
I have been driving cars for 50 years since I was 17 year old and NEVER experienced toeing in or out problems on the rear. During the later part of my 'working life' I was doing 45000 miles a year driving Audi & Peugeot cars. COME ON CITROEN admit there is a problem before your sales diminish down to nil.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the dealer says nout is wrong get an indipendant enginer to check it and give you a report,

regards malcolm
petexx691

Post by petexx691 »

:)
Last edited by petexx691 on 10 Dec 2011, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

We had a similar problem with our old ScenicII, it scrubbed its rear michelins off in the first 19K miles, the fronts lasted until 22. The rears were bald on the outsides and heavily feathered.

We took it back to Renault (still under warranty at the time) and they said Renault have set a tolerance on the rear toe, if its out by the set amount they will need to replace the axel. ours was borderline and they wouldnt replace the axel. They said they have know ScenicIIs to get through rear tyres in under 10K where cheap brands are used.

Shocking but it seems to be very common on cars now.

If you notice, quite a few modern cars appear to jump slightly sideways when going over individual large bumps with the rear wheels. I know a lot of C5s do this and wear slightly from the outside in, but still do very good miles from the rear tyres.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It might be a good idea for you guys to get in touch with Michelin technical about this, I had very useful advice from them some time ago when one of my customers had a milk float that was eating tyres, she got through a set of original 185-14 Dunlops in about 4000 miles, was advised by a tyre supplier to use 175-14 Goodyears but had the same result, worn off in a little over 4,000 miles.
I spoke to a Michelin rep at the motor show about it and a couple of days later they sent a techie out, he weighed the axles at the roadside, recommended she used 165-14C Michelins at 36psi, she did that and they were still in usable condition when she disposed of the truck 30,000 miles later.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
petexx691

Post by petexx691 »

:)