random cutting out 90bhp hdi xsara estate(very confused)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

random cutting out 90bhp hdi xsara estate(very confused)

Post by simonelsey »

Hi All , Any help ...My xsara 2.0hdi Estate of a MK1 flavour (2000reg) is randomly cutting out ,it wont happen every day but at least 1 /2 times a week .

I will roll up to a junction or slow down for a bend and the engine will die .
Stop restart after 5 seconds all ok can drive normal .it only happens when revs are dropping ..

Any ideas, I ve had a read and hopefully its not the High pressure pump .

I have no warning lights on at all .

Any help will be great .

Simon
Last edited by simonelsey on 26 Apr 2010, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

You have PM :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Could some one tell me if the lift is is ment to be noisy , When I turn key to one before start I get a low buzzing noise from pump ...

Is this (good / bad) then goes away , then when driving whilst stopped can here it again ..

Could some one please check yours ....

Thanks
Last edited by simonelsey on 21 Apr 2010, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

They're not supposed to be noisy... the one on our Picasso (new last year at vast expense :twisted: ) is barely audible. The one on my Xantia (not changed in the 50k I've had it, now on 100k) varies between a quiet hum to a right old clanking rattle - this is a 'known' problem with these systems, and is due to a combination of the pump and wear in the non-return valve in the filter housing causing resonance in the fuel return line. When the pump went on our Picasso it just started randomly cutting out, but would always re-start straight away. I suspect this is the fault with yours. Live data from a Lexia might show a loss of low side pressure which would confirm diagnosis. You could have a look in the fuel filter to see if there is any frag in there - but be very very careful to fully clean it out before refitting (taking it out can bypass the filter with frag getting into the HP pump and causing £££££ damage!). The pump is not that dear, and not that hard to change (unless it's a Picasso, in which case the tank has to come out - see my earlier comment about the expense!!)
Richard W
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

had the engine serviced due to it occasionally cutting out so has had new filter /air filter etc .car is on nearly 139,000

just fired the old girl up and no noise from pump ,dead quite , so imagine pump gets noisey after a period of time .

So then looks like a new fuel pump is required at the end of month ..How much to fit + supply ..
simonelsey
My Cars:

confused now .

Post by simonelsey »

Getting well confused on this one . What is the part number for the replacement pump ... :?

Checked GSf website seem to be the £78 one spoke to hastings branch said whats pump pressure as 2 types ..said its mk1 hdi xsara estate and 90bhp . ok its £78 , spoke to the garage I normally go to , got qouted rather alot ...spoke to not usual bloke .. So got another qoute from a garage in eastbourne , gave him reg number and said estate and get a price for £320 is said what you are having a laugh he said "got to remove tank " I said its underneath the back seat not a pic .Spoke to Ashford branch of GSF and was told £150 for pump I said why(after giving number plate ) and he said its a Mk2 ,No mark 1 ..was told Now mark1 with Hdi . :twisted: But ive got one ..rung kingtson GSF branch that will be £150 pound I said why "its the Boschpump you need" I said "nope got the VEO one ", re check nope still £150.looked on europarts and price range from 80-150 for range of three pumps .
Spoke to oringinal garage and spoke to owner or manager and he was happy I rung and discussed price and he said either £90-£120 for pump and now more then a hour labour .

So then clever people What pump is in a Xsara 2.0hdi mk1 estate (90bhp)