Pump Change - So It begins :)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cox377

Pump Change - So It begins :)

Post by cox377 »

Hello Guys,

Citroen Xantia 1998 1.9TD XUD

Well as some of you may remember, my 223k Bosch pump has started to show signs of old age which have increased dramatically since running on straight veg. Firstly the main cap seal started leaking, then the Mushroom on the top of the pump started leaking out of the rubber spout. I’ve decided that a pump change is going to be easier than repair.

Bosh pumps have the metal armor on the front of them that needs to be drilled off. I have now extracted the pump from the donor (1998 XUD 1.9 406)

Is it a case of drilling off this armor on both pumps and exchanging the electrical gubbins underneath? One forum member kindly told me there was a guide to doing this but I’m unable to find anything through the search.

Much appreciated for your time and patience

James
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

More or less, although most people would throw the pump immobiliser into the nearest bin, arranging a ignition 12v feed to a new standard stop solenoid etc rather than swapping it over to the 'new' pump.

Having said that here is Jim's excellent guide that you were looking for > http://www.eastment.net/Boschpump2.htm , its not difficult generally although it can be time consuming.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Thanks Spider.

Does that mean the new pump's immobiliser needs to be removed to allow you to get this live into the pump? I wasn't like the idea of having to get the old punp off and drilled out before fitting the new one.

CoXen
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

As you need to remove the immobiliser off the new pump, I'd go with ditching it completely (inform your insurance and it isn't likely to make a difference as it's a factory fitted one anyway, plus it being a citroen makes a much better anti-theft device) and wiring up a feed to the solinoid.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider

Post by spider »

You won't be able (as far as I know) use the immobiliser pump solenoid as its part of the immobiliser, I hope that makes sense.

So you can swap it (after taking the armour off) if you wanted to retain the immobiliser, or get a conventional stop solenoid and fit that in place of the immobiliser unit (tiny electronics box with the solenoid built in)
Andy.

cox377

Post by cox377 »

Okay, I think I'll go with removing it completely and wiring in a live.

I thought though,

reading here,

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... mor+armour

My key is just a plastic key with, no remote on it. I wondered if that changed things. I guess the new pump would still be immoberlised though

CoXen
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi James,

I have recently changed my pump like for like,but it was informed that camplate within the pump are specifically made for each type of car ie peugeot and citroen.
I don't know if this is the case for XUD9 diesel engines fitted to peugeot and citroens.
MikeT blog for Bosch pump disassembly contains my fun along with comments from Jim and other learned people.
This will be of great assistance to you.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It would be easier to fit an earlier pump that doesn't have the immobiliser
cox377

Post by cox377 »

I'm sure the pumps are transferable between the makes, aren't they?

Regarding getting a fully machanical pump, I did have one but it spent 5 years sitting in a damn shed and is not fit for use.. I stripped it down as a test run when fitting a new seal anyway.

This leaves me with the 406 pump. I'm hoping my mates dad can drill out the factory studs in his machine shop, I am however unsure about replacing the bolts that are drilled out, someone mentioned using some obtained from a scrappy

CoXen
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Strictly speaking the pumps are different. From a 406, I would expect them to be very minor differences - such as bracketry fittings.

As an alternative to drilling out the security bolts, I cut a slot in the bolts so they can screwed back in.

Scroll halfway down the page...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... c&start=60
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

spider wrote
"You won't be able (as far as I know) use the immobiliser pump solenoid as its part of the immobiliser, I hope that makes sense. "

well i de/imobalised my 98 R reg 1,9TD XANT and used the existing solenoid, just wired a switched live and Bobs your auntie,

regards malcolm
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:spider wrote
"You won't be able (as far as I know) use the immobiliser pump solenoid as its part of the immobiliser, I hope that makes sense. "

well i de/imobalised my 98 R reg 1,9TD XANT and used the existing solenoid, just wired a switched live and Bobs your auntie,

regards malcolm
That's good to know Malcolm. :)

I was under the impression in most cases, you could not (sensibly) actually get at just the solenoid as it was kind of moulded into the rest of the electronics.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: I was under the impression in most cases, you could not (sensibly) actually get at just the solenoid as it was kind of moulded into the rest of the electronics.
That's the good thing about it Andy, the solenoid is a normal one once the armour is off. The solenoid is identical to a non-immobilised type, even to having the screw terminal post, unlike the armoured and immobilised Lucas pumps.

The bottom right picture on this page shows the solenoid and immobiliser just separated from each other...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Right, the armor is now off the doner pump, thanks to Malcolms handy work with a pump and an angle grinder.

Thank you Malcolm.

The next stage is to attept to replace the main cap seal. I dont want to get this pump onto the car to find it starts leaking once it's on there.

CoXen
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Hi guys dont know if this doable with the transponder imobiliser but it worked on my krypad type, My keypad fell out of its cassing taking the wires with it and as theyre all the same colour i couldnt figure where they all whent after much fiddling i managed to get all but two of the wires in and after checking the last two i found one was permament live and one was permanent negative so i decided ( Fed up at this point ) to see what would happen if i put the two wires together and hyoresto it started it turns out the last two wires where for the fuel stop solinoid so to save having to keep twisting wires together i put them on a switch in the dashboard.
If you can find the correct wires within the cowling around the steering column you should be able to do the same thing and just put them on a switch somewhere hidden just remember to switch it back off before switching off ignition otherwise it will keep running and ultimately damage the battery and alternator. ( found out the hard way ) this should then by pass the imobilliser unit on the pump.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time