keys, do they really have to be this big???!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia sx auto
My Cars:

keys, do they really have to be this big???!!

Post by xantia sx auto »

Hi, I have a problem with the keys on this car, they are HUGE! Not a problem for 99.9% of people i'm sure, but as i keep my key in my shoe as i'm disabled it's driving me mad!

I don't want the button bits i just want a key i can use in the doors and ign that will work, if i get a normal key cut will it work or are the god darn things chipped??
If so where is the chip and would it work if i got the chip and taped it to a normal key???
can anyone please help?
I can't walk like this!!
it's the very very big flip key i have with buttons on the side
Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, they do as the key (in the case of a MK2) contains an RFID chip to activate the immobiliser.

Mucking around with keys is risky.

Wear it around your neck perhaps? Even a small key I reckon would be jolly uncomfortable in your shoe... Just a little grit in my shoe annoys me immensely...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

most keys are fine, i'm used to it, but these ones are ridiculous, i've never seen such a massive key, no other cars need to be this big!
so do you know where this chip is or is it in the pcb itself??
cheers
Richie
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Be grateful you don't have a Xsara!
They're much bigger with a button to flip out the key part!
It's like the Xantia key, which is a fanastic design, compact and doesn't scratch my phone in my pocket or tear a hole through to my leg.
It's just not flat, which is a bit of a pain as you say, should you want to keep it in your shoe along with your foot.

What year is yours?
Does it have a seperate grill, or is your grill part of the bonnet?
If it's the former, you have a MK1, in which case you can get a new key cut without the remote part (the cars originally came with two remotes and one flat service key).
Locking with just the key and holding it locked for he second clunk will deadlock the doors but not arm the alarm, so someone can smash a window, but not open a door.

If you've got a MK2, then as it uses RF, I think you're stuck, so I had a look around and would an ankle pouch like this be of use?

Otherwise, what about Jim's suggestion of wearing it around your neck? Get one of those detachable neck strap so you can unclip it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

C5 keys are the biggest key around i would think, now they are massive! Much bigger than a Xantia key, probably the same as a Xsara.

The normal non flip Xantia key seems as small as most other keys, however its and odd shape which i wouldnt think comfortable to put in a shoe. You will need to get the key ship coded to the car. I think all or if not most Xantias came with two big flip keys and a normal key too.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

hat's interesting, i have a 2000 w reg mk2 (just looked at grill!) i got 2 flips with it but no normal one, how annoying as this would have been perfect, i lock it with the key as the alarm goes off anyway if locked with button (stupid thing) and the bood never likes to open, so all i need is a proper key I don't want this modern stuff! but I didn't get the card with key numbers so not sure if getting a third smaller key from citcon is going to be possible/affordable????
anyone on here know if i can turn the alarm off permenantly???
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Keys for the earlier Xantias used to be very easy to be replaced, as i dont think they had an immob. inside - most cars had the annoying number code pad. Though facelifted Xantias (yours) is different. Its often possible to get keys cut at a good key cuttters who have the equipment to code the key to the car, but im not sure if this applies to Xantias.

Again im not sure if the facelifted xantia did come with an ordinary key too, a xantia owner will know this?

I know earlier C5s came with a remote key and one normal key (looks like a saxo key). Where as later C5s came with two remotes. Might be the same for xantias.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

just to confirm

the only key i have for my Mark2 is the small unobtrusive service key.

John
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Our Mk1 came with just one (plipper) key, so a couple of spares were a bit crucial. Most places that cut keys can't cut Citroen keys because they don't have the right cruciform blanks and their machines aren't designed to cut 4 faces.
Our local Mr Minnit was one of the few places that could cut them, about £8 each, with a 'money back if it doesn't work' guarantee - so park the car somewhere close! :wink:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

You could, of course, detach the transponder and keep it in the car. There might posibly be insurance issues, though.
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

jgra1 wrote:just to confirm

the only key i have for my Mark2 is the small unobtrusive service key.

John
does anyone know if the immob chip is in the pcb or in the actual key part itself because if i could remove the bit that swivels by drilling out the rivet type bits then it would leave me with the key shaft and the plastic round peice on the end to form an almost normal key! if this is the part holding the chip then i'll be ok otherwise i'm stuffed and ruined a key for nothing so advice would be very much appretiated before the drill comes out to play!

Richie
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

dnsey wrote:You could, of course, detach the transponder and keep it in the car. There might posibly be insurance issues, though.
how do you mean sir?

thanks
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im pretty sure the chip will be in the remote part and not the blade part.

However, i think what was ment by the above was to remove the chip out of your key and put it in the car, attached to the ignition barrel and then your key wouldnt need a chip so you could get one cut without having to have it coded. However this really means the car no longer has an immob.

Easiest and best thing to do would be to see if you can get a normal key cut and coded for your car. Should'nt be too much, £20-30 tops?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

xantia sx auto wrote:
dnsey wrote:You could, of course, detach the transponder and keep it in the car. There might posibly be insurance issues, though.
how do you mean sir?

thanks
Take the back off the remote and look inside with a torch, you'll see a black plastic tab with a pip on the end which fits into a hole on the PCB, bend the tab away from the PCB and pull the PCB out.

Tape the PCB with battery to the steering column and try to start the car with the remains of the key.
If it works, then get out and try to lock the door with the key (can't remember if there's anything which prevents locking the keys in the car).

If that works, I'd remove one of the column surrounds and tape the PCB inside out of sight.
Get a flat key cut and stick it in your shoe.
Happy as larry.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

I just removed the pcb and left it in the house, and then went and started the car with the remains so it can't be in the pcb but i don't want to drill out the key bit in case the chip is in the centre or something! does anyone on here actually know where the chip is and what it looks like as i can't find a sausage!!!!
thanks