2003 Xsara handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mike7777777

2003 Xsara handbrake

Post by Mike7777777 »

Hi, first post.

Handbrake on the above car is not the best, it's been serviced regularly. Is there a record of handbrake failure for that model and year (rear discs)? Thanks,
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ihi Mike and welcome

if someone has forced the pistons back whilst replaceing pads, this will damage the self adjustting mechanisum inside the calliper/s,

then the hand brake will never adjust up corectly,

or if the cables/arm's are not fully releasedwith hand brake in the off position,

the adjuster's will not adjust might/will not adjust as they shood,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
Mike7777777

Post by Mike7777777 »

Thanks citronut, so it could be a service issue? I can't find any reference to a manufacturer's recall on the internet for handbrake issues for this model, and Citroen tell me there are none, are you aware of any?

I'm North of London
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the faults i have sudgested are nout to do with any factory re/call, these are issues caused by the un/inishiated,

when fitting new pad's with hand brake adjusters in the callipers, you must wind the pitons back and not just force them in

regards malcolm
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Presume you have ruled out seized handbrake cable(s)? If you jack up each wheel can you turn the wheel with the handbrake on? If you can turn it (them), get a pair of molegrips or pump pliers and try moving the handbrake operating lever forwards to see if it makes any difference - if it does it would suggest a problem with the cables or their adjustment.

If there is no difference, the fault might lie in the handbrake mechanism on the back of the caliper (operating lever possibly seized in the bushes if dried out or corroded), the pistons themselves seizing in the bores of the calipers, or the slides seizing up.

Am at this moment stripping both calipers on mine (in my case the rear brakes were binding on, one side significantly so). The handbrake mechanisms on mine are ok but there is corrosion on one of the levers where it enters one of the bushes in the caliper body, so I could imagine if left alone it would have the potential to seize up. The caliper bodies are alloy and there is quite a bit of corrosion on them generally, and a lot of dry powdery residue inside the dust boots on the pistons. Winding the pistons out revealed similar residue between the piston surfaces and the bores, making them quite stiff to turn. However once removed, the surfaces themselves seem not too bad, and have cleaned up ok. First one is all back together now with a new seal and wound in nice and smoothly, and after bleeding that side and adjusting everything up, all seems well - brake and handbrake work ok and no sticking :D Hopefully the other side will be the same.

I found there was quite a bit of corrosion built up around the brake pipe joint into the caliper and the bleed nipples, so used a small screwdriver to scrape away the build up and then soaked with plusgas before trying to unscrew them.

Citroen do repair kits but I'm not sure exactly what they contain. I got a seal kit from BigRed for about £25, which includes all the rubberware needed to strip and rebuild the calipers - they don't do pistons or any of the metal parts.

As Malcolm says, the pistons need to wound in and out using a square shafted screwdriver or similar to engage in the slots on the exposed ends of the pistons.

Hope you find a solution,
Regards
Greg
2001 Xsara HDI 110 150,000 & counting!
Mike7777777

Post by Mike7777777 »

Thanks for the replies. The car has discs all round, I understand that the early Xantias were subject to a recall to deal with contraction of pads and discs when cooling, but no recall for Xsara according to Citroen.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes XANT's did have a hend brale issue, but the XSARA's hand brake is on the rear wheels, and XANT's are on the front,

regards malcolm