C3 1.4 HDI 16V Odd electrovalve behaviour

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

C3 1.4 HDI 16V Odd electrovalve behaviour

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

After changing injector 2 last weekend, we noticed a weird behaviour with the electrovalve which controls the turbo's exhaust-side variable vanes. Whether it was doing this before but we didn't notice until the bonnet was up and it was more audible, I don't know.

After having it idle a few minutes, the engine was turned off and all was quiet. Then the ignition key was turned to the last position before cranking, ready to start the engine up again. Each time this was done, the turbo electrovalve mounted on the rear of the engine started buzzing loudly (activated) and then slowly got quieter, presumably as the OCR ratio or current supplied to it was reduced, until it stopped altogether. Since there is no vacuum with the engine off, and the electrovalve is designed to return whatever it feeds to atmospheric pressure when not activated, I can't see why this would happen.

I checked all connections I'd disturbed but found nothing amiss. Any ideas?

p.s. If anyone has a Lexia in or near the Gwynedd area of North Wales, or if anyone has a second-hand chinese Lexia they want to sell on dirt cheap, let me know!
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007