xantia suspension help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

keving

xantia suspension help needed

Post by keving »

hi just come across this site and found it very informative must congratulate you lot on something useful on the web.
my problem is a few weeks ago i bought a xantia estate p reg 1.9 td
an to be honest am very surprised at how nippy it is. how ever there are a few things i would like to sort out.
suspension , the front of the car is a lot higher than the rear in normal mode,to the point of the sill of the car not being level with the ground.
in the high mode both front an rear go up higher an in low mode both go right down.
i have topped up lhm , am i right in assuming the dog bone connectors on the height correctors are ok because the car goes up an down when put it in these modes?
would it be some adjustment of them some where wrong or need reseting or is it something i've overlooked?
any help will the Greatly appreciated
thanks kev
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Sounds like a sticking height corrector. Its often the rear which sticks, though yours sounds like the front. Is the front too high or the back too low?

Does it ride softly? I would expect the end at the wrong height to be pretty crashy.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Two or three applications of WD40 on the height corrector linkage over a couple of days should free them off. Look along the anti roll bar and you will see a clamp round it, follow the 'U' shaped rod and you will find the valve on the other end. Dont get under the car unless securly jacked or on a ramp - there heavy :shock:

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Once free, spray them with a liberal coating of grease such as lithium spray grease
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
keving

Post by keving »

thanks for this help, i will try that
does the slider between the seats not work the height correctors? because it goes up and down when thats operated.
also when the car has been standing an then started the rear goes up so i'm assuming the rear works ok
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

keving wrote: does the slider between the seats not work the height correctors? because it goes up and down when thats operated.
Yes, the lever does work on the height corrector Kevin, but on a different and independent part of the mechanism.

The part that is operated by the white link from the anti-roll bar can be totally seized whilst the part operated by the lever will still work and behave normally.

This drawing may help make it clearer...

Only one way to test height correctors and that's to use your own weight. Sit on the boot lip and feel the car go down and then correct back to normal height after about 20s. get out, feel it go up high as the weight is relieved and then fall back down to normal height.

Although not quite so dramatic, the front should behave exactly the same if you sit on the slam panel and make the front go down it'll correct itself back up again just like the rear does.

If these tests don't pass, the fault lies in the height corrector mechanisms. The hydraulic part very rarely fails but any stiff ness in the mechanism will really upset the operation of it. Note that very small movements on the hydraulic valve makes a big ride height difference and as a result, the whole assembly is sensitive.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

where abouts is the front height corrector located :oops:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:where abouts is the front height corrector located :oops:
They're very shy, retiring creatures Dave.

They live in the middle of the rear part of the front subframe, well beyond the steering rack and well hidden. Follow the rod from the height lever...

You'll only see its mount at first glance. Needless to say they are somewhat of an adventure to remove/replace...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Cheers Jim :P
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o