2002 c5 hdi non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crosser69

2002 c5 hdi non starter

Post by crosser69 »

Hi there ive just bought a 52 plate c5 2.0 hdi 110bhp,it was described that it would start and run for 10-20 mins before cutting out,upon delivery it wont start at all,ive checked all of the fuses,ive taken the pipe off the fuel filter and fuel gushes out upon cranking over,ive disconnected the fuel pressure sensor and it still wont start,my problem is now that the drivers window is down and wont go back up as the car is in eco mode.
any sort of ideas of where to start,the fuel pump in tank powers up and seams to work ok so i think i can rule that out,ive got plenty of fuel at fuel filter,could it be hi pressure pump fault or electrical fault,if so where do i start?
any help/info would be a great help.
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I think you can clear the eco mode temporarily but disconnecting the battery for an hour, then you need to put your window up quick before it goes into eco mode again

Otherwise, you can spray some damp start into the intake whilst cranking to get it to fire for a few seconds, as long as you get the revs past 1000, the ecu thinks the engine started and it will drop the eco mode

Your non start problems are likely a fuel rail pressure problem (lack of that is!), but you could also check cam/crank sensor sync as this would stop the engine starting too

the other thing to check is that the immobiliser isnt active, look for the key symbol to clear on the dash when you turn the key

Cant think of anything else at the moment, a session on lexia would pin the fault down and make it much easier to fix though !
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

immobiliser is definately not on,thanks for the info about getting it started for abit to drop the eco mode,was gfoing to buy a fuel pressure sensor but ive unplugged that as it is suppose to put it into default mode but it still wont start,just wondering if it could be the fuel pressure regulator which ive been told is in the pump itself?
so i take it if i spray easy start down intake and it starts it will be a fuel fault?

regards
paul
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

If it starts on easy start, that only proves that the basic mechanics of the engine are good (pistons, valves etc..), you could be looking at an electronics fault, or it could be fuel related, but if you do spray damp start and it starts and carries on running on diesel, then it shows a pump fault (low or high pressure) as the damp start temporarily boosts the pressures and can get it running, but if the pressure regulator is stuck, then it will be bleeding all your rail pressure off and start or run on diesel

The pressure regulator is on the end of the pump, 2 hex bolts hold it in, unplug the electrical connector and if pulls out, dont remove the 3rd piston deactivator on top of the pump by mistake though !, thats completely different (and wont cause a non start fault)
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

ok,i will try that tomorrow,it looks like that has been off before,only had a small amount of easy start,less than half a squirt and it tried to start so will get some more tomorrow,i was told that the regulator would be the fault,i have unplugged it but it still wont start,there is a 2nd hand pump on ebay which has the regulator attached for about £90 as havnt seen any 2nd hand regulators up for sale,ive managed to source a fuel rail with a fuel pressure sensor so i can eliminate that when it comes but it does look like a regulator,ive not had it started yet but last owner had it going in 10 minute spurts.anyway thanks for the info and i will replace the regulator as i will get one,so i take it if this regulator is at fault it would not start the engine?
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

the car will start and run (in limp) without the rail pressure sensor connected, so you didnt really need to replace it to test it, simply unplug it !

The pressure regulator has to be plugged in and working for the car to start and run, if you unplug it, you stand zero chance of the car starting

The regulator can be cleaned quite easily, the white teflon washer inside is supposed to have a split in it, so dont thing that is th fault if you do take it out, to clean it, get some engine cleaner spray and a soft brass wire brush and brush the end gauze to remove all the bits of crap, then spray the engine cleaner on it from both sides (theres a hole to spray it in to flush it, they you spray it onto the gauze and let it flow out the hole, this flushes it both ways to clean it, dont touch the gauze till after you have cleaned it as it can have very sharp particles in it that will easily cut you, once you have dont it, spray it with some wd40 and put it back in and see if the car starts
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I forgot to say that the rail pressure sensor wiring can also be at fault, check for corrosion on the wires just behind the connector, and the contacts as well, and there was a 9 inch modified bit of loom fitted to most hdi's on a recall as there was a wiring fault, check to see if you have another connnector 9 inches down the loom from the connector, and if its there, unplug it and check the contacts, those connectors are also know for the pins to spread slightly over time, so you plug it in, but the pins dont make contact with the contacts in the plug, so you might need to buzz them through or bend them in slightly to make 100% sure you have good continuity
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

is the regulator held in by spline or torx bits?
also this wiring loom that is mentioned 9'' from the sensor,if this connector is not clean and pins in correctly would this stop the car from starting or just going into limp mode?
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

got it to start on easy start,although it cut out twice on tick over and had to use easy start,it then ran for quite a bit freely revving and ticking over,once switched off it wouldnt start again off the key and didnt want to squirt anymore easystart into it,is this pointing to the fuel pressure regulator guys?
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

If you get it running again, then turn the engine off with the key, does it stop instantly or run on for a second or 2 ?, if it runs on, this shows a sticky pressure regulator as the ecu wont stop firing the injectors until it sees the rail pressure drop

If it doesnt run on, then its either the high pressure pump, or more likely the in tank low pressure pump at fault, have you tried lifting the back seat and lifting the dinner plate sized plastic cover to listen for the tank pump to run for 3-4 seconds when you turn the ignition to position 2 ?
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

car stops immediately after turning it off,i can hear the pump running when i put key into position 2,was just going to get a regulator but cant get the old one off the pump so may plump for a hp pump with a regulator already on it,cant get it to start again on easy start,tried twice but wont fire,think its going to be a case of illimination
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

right it started again today on a drop of easy start and have had it running for 20mins or so without it cutting out,ive got another fuel pressure sensor coming and im tried to locate a hp pump,are these pumps all the same,mine has a bosch one fitted and i can get another bosch one but it has different part numbers on them,my car is a 52 plate 110bhp c5,this pump has come off a 2000 406hdi90bhp,if they are the same i will try the pump as i knew is worked perfectly on this other car.
any other suggestions? :?:
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

There were some slight variations in the bosch hp pumps, hence the differing part numbers, the biggest change was the omission of the 3rd piston deactivation solenoid on the earlier pumps, but it will still work, so if its tested and working, go for it.

From the tests and descriptions you have given, my money would be on the hp pump now

Its a pity your not closer to warminster in wiltshire as i have lexia and could scan your car and give you a definite answer as to exactly where the problem is within a few minutes !
racingraymond

Post by racingraymond »

TopDonkey wrote:the car will start and run (in limp) without the rail pressure sensor connected, so you didnt really need to replace it to test it, simply unplug it !

The pressure regulator has to be plugged in and working for the car to start and run, if you unplug it, you stand zero chance of the car starting

The regulator can be cleaned quite easily, the white teflon washer inside is supposed to have a split in it, so dont thing that is th fault if you do take it out, to clean it, get some engine cleaner spray and a soft brass wire brush and brush the end gauze to remove all the bits of crap, then spray the engine cleaner on it from both sides (theres a hole to spray it in to flush it, they you spray it onto the gauze and let it flow out the hole, this flushes it both ways to clean it, dont touch the gauze till after you have cleaned it as it can have very sharp particles in it that will easily cut you, once you have dont it, spray it with some wd40 and put it back in and see if the car starts
I have the same symptom as above,running on,I have taken the regulator off but cant see how to clean it,how does it come apart ?
Cheers
Ray