TCT internals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

TCT internals

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Gents

Would anyone recomend somewhere to get new rings, big and main bearing shells from for my TCT Engine, i may get it rebored too so does anyone know if oversize pistons were available for this engine, the bol says "it is unclear if oversize pistons will be available" which i find hard to believe, but then we dont call it the bol for nothing :lol:

Thanks
D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Dean,

Ring a FER member and ask them. My local one seems to be able to supply all sorts.

http://www.fer.co.uk/fer/portal/main/HomePage.asp

Steve.
not applicable
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Isn't it a wet liner engine, hence no ability to over-bore... :?

There used to be a proper old school engineering shop down the little lane opposite the bottom end of Staplers road - took my mate's Landrover diesel head in there when we were at school - which means it was nearly 20 years ago, so anyone's guess as to whether it is still there!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Isn't it a wet liner engine, hence no ability to over-bore... :?
No, it's a standard sort of iron block Richard.

You're thinking of the older XU5 and XU9 engines. They were all alloy with wet liners.

Then, for some inexplicable reason, they went back to iron.

The ES9 V6 is all alloy with dry (damp) liners.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Thanks gents, as Jim says its a solid cast block, no liners at all and the proper shop you are refering to was called broadlands garage and packed in about 4 years ago and flats were built there, but the guy that ran it lives in northwood and he has a house attached to his shed :lol: with all his gear in and still does the work on a casual/semi retired basis, the block is going to him week after next so thats going to be well looked after.
Steve if the guy who the block is going to cant help i will call the FER, thanks for the tip.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dean, according to laser, there are no oversize pistons available but there are "repair" sets of piston rings available. I don't know what is different about them. Maybe they're a bit like the old "Cord" rings that you could buy donkeys years ago to eke a bit more life out of worn bores in your Morris Minor...

Heres's a shot of the list:

Same with big ends and mains. There are a whole plethora available in different grades but none to suit a regrind.

Only thrust washers are available in three different thicknesses.

If you want the official words on sizing bearing shells by code, I shopul;d be able to provide...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Thanks Jim thats a big help, big ends and mains are not at all worn really, bit of contamination on no 1 main bearing shell but nothing major, the crank is A1 too so i will replace them with the same size shells purely because i feel i should since the whole thing is stripped, compression is good but there is a bit of a fingernail catcher on pots 1 &3 mainly but again its not too bad, the pistons did push out with a bity of a wiggle. The lump has done 150K and looks good but i want it to go back in as new hence the work.

Interesting thing is the turbo and N/A versions of this engine use the same block and head, in fact with a little drilling and a oil pump & cam shaft swap an N/A engine could be used in a turbo and i have aquired 3 over the years!, the N/a does have the usual three piston sizes too and there is space for the pots to be bored out,it seems just no pistons were produced, if it does need a rebore though i think forged aftermarket pistons could be the only option or a recon short engine although i dont have much faith in recon stuff if im honest.

I may start a blogg here following my engine rebuild and conversion since its all very Activa relevant.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

i take it those drawings are just generic? the pistons look nothing like any of the 3 sets i have................
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Probably not relevant but one thing I've come across is someone using a TCT in a 405. They are tuning it up and have fitted a 16v head to it.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote:i take it those drawings are just generic? the pistons look nothing like any of the 3 sets i have................
Yes, the drawings are generic Dean and in some places it really shows :lol:

In fact, the pistons in the drawing look remarkably like diesel ones....

A blog would be great :D
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Yes Toby the tct engine was fitted to the 405 i believe and the 16v heads fit onto the xu block but im not a huge 16v fan and that sort of a project would be to silly for a using car that takes me on holiday and does the shopping although i wouldnt rule it out for one of my spare engines at a later date :wink: would love to build a sleeper..using an old skoda :twisted:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Ok just to follow this up, standard oversize pistons are a no no as Jim very helpfully pointed out but............... http://wossneronline.com/forged_pistons ... ucts_id=63
These look promising, the alternative is going to be drilling out the piston oil jets in the bores and moving the dipstic and drilling for the oil feed to the turbo on an N/A block, looks very easy actually but then i still want new pistons so i may go for forged and get the turbo block rebored, ive got to look into prices a bit more carefully but i am guessing both options will be about the same price wise, but with one i get forged pistons so it looks like the way to go at the moment............

D
Last edited by Deanxm on 19 Apr 2010, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, good find Dean :D So the Wossners are available in oversizes then?

Now, I have a set of 2.1TD pistons here. I don't suppose they could be used ciould they? They sure weigh more than 300g each as well, more like 3Kg each :twisted:
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

yes, 86mm 86.5mm and 87mm bore :D so there is hope for a tct block yet! other than crown shape and compression ratio the main difference with the derv pistons is that they have floating gudgeons and the tct or indeed any petrol XU has interferance fit so they must be as different as its possible to be....................how did you come to be in ownership of a good set of 2.1 pistons?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I thought they might be very different Dean. It was just I'd heard rumours that 2.1TD internals could be used to make a 2.1 Petrol engine. Maybe the 2.1TD crank cane be used to stroke the engine out to 2088cc maybe.
Deanxm wrote:how did you come to be in ownership of a good set of 2.1 pistons?
They came with a cache of spares I acquired ages and ages ago. They are actually brand new, in boxes and never even unpacked...

Dean, I'm loving your Toyota themed sign-off :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim