Xantia HP pump removal Qs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

Xantia HP pump removal Qs

Post by Gaskin »

Just in the middle of removing the HP pump and alternator so I can replace the aux belt tensioner - dodging the showers here in sunny Norfolk.

Starter questions, probably more to come as things progress:

There seem to be O rings associated with the unions on the metal pipes going from the pump. Can these be reused and where do they fit, below or above the flare?

The LHM supply pipe is presumably full of LHM. Any clever tips to avoid emptying it all over the pump/floor?

Happy Easter!

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Duncan,

Is your Xantia a late Mk 1 or early Mk 2

Or what is your car's RP Number as the 2 metal pipes coming out of the Hydraulic pump changed about the year of your car from seals to a different flare shape and NO seals.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I didn't think ANY HP outlet pipes has seals at all, infact, Ive never seen any, the only O ring seal, is under the union connection, which the HP outlet pipe screws into..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
MikeM
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HP pump removal Qs

Post by MikeM »

Gaskin wrote:
The LHM supply pipe is presumably full of LHM. Any clever tips to avoid emptying it all over the pump/floor?

Duncan
Hi Duncan,

Just had reason to remove that pipe myself when I removed the pump to access the alternator. I found that removal of the feed pipe from the pump and then quickly raise it higher than the reservoir. then holding it high take a vinyl/latex glove and put the end of the pipe into one of the fingers and use two of the other fingers to tie a tourniquet (or you could use a cable tie) to prevent leakage when the pipe inevitably slips lower and the reservoir tries to feed the pipe with LHM.

Hope that's as clear as I pictured it while typing.

Mike
Gaskin
My Cars:

HP pump Qs answered and job done - thanks

Post by Gaskin »

Well 3 days later and we are nearly back together....

Fairly straightforward job if a little longwinded and frustrating with poor access to many bolts etc that you can see OK but not reach. Usual selection of dropped washers disappearing into the depths of the engine, rescued thanks to Lidl's extending magnetic screwdriver (the one with several bits and a blue handle has a v.small magnet on the end of an extending car aerial hidden in the shaft)

Changing the aux belt tensioner with the bracket off was a doddle and the old one had died as expected.

Sadly the HP pump supply pipe split on removal so I've got to splice on a suitable piece of fuel pipe if I can find a sound bit of the original pipe to join onto....

Also more worryingly and confusing, when I removed the top radiator hose to add access, no coolant came out. Checking the header tank showed no coolant. No trace of it on the ground, the car has run at ~80-90C and I check the level every so often and it loses virtually nothing.

Had to go to work today so haven't had a chance to fix the pump supply or refill the coolant and start it up to see if I have a leak. Hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers

Duncan
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

So far so good - sort of.

Filled and bled the coolant which took a couple of litres +/- leakage from my plastic bottle header tank. No obvious leaks. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't bleed the system properly when I changed the thermostat last summer and that the nose up angle of the car due to the front being on axle stands and the back down on the stops somehow allowed the air to gather in the radiator - at least that's what I hope!

As for the HP pump, the feed pipe joined OK but the left hand union (nearest the aux belt) is weeping slightly. I've tightened it as much as possible but no joy. I'll try loosening it and re-tightening just to see if that works.

Cheers

Duncan
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
MikeM
My Cars:

Post by MikeM »

Gaskin wrote:So far so good - sort of.

As for the HP pump, the feed pipe joined OK but the left hand union (nearest the aux belt) is weeping slightly. I've tightened it as much as possible but no joy. I'll try loosening it and re-tightening just to see if that works.

Cheers

Duncan
Don't over tighten that union! It's only supposed to need 'nipping up'. Overtightening can make things worse.

Try removing and reseating to make sure it's fitted squarely.

MikeM