catastrophic failure.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

catastrophic failure.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

I was driving home last night in my Mk2 98 xantia estate and I just managed to turn into my road and the steering locked up completely.

turnning the wheel took some effort but I finally got it to move even though it was making crunchy noises.

Today I removed the steering wheel to find that the little circular cassette that holds the wiring for the airbags and the radio/horn had disintegrated completely. it appears that the moulding holding the wires that exit into the steering wheel to connect to the airbag is the striker for switching off the indicator arm this section has completely been ripped away from the wiring cassette.

there is no chance of repairing the old one like anything plastic its not that solid state, so i am hoping someone out there might have one knocking about please?

even if it has an airbag fault it would be fine as I have disabled my airbag system for health reasons.
I shall miss my radio controls on the wheel and have for the time being wired the horn to a switch on the dash. thank god its just passed its MOT.

rergards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.