Obituary - Xantia 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeM
My Cars:

Obituary - Xantia 1.9TD

Post by MikeM »

It is with great sadness that I report the passing on of my beloved Xantia.

She died suddenly from massive heart failure, doing what she loved most, motorway cruising.

RIP (Revivable In Pieces) http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 482#218482

Seriously, I annoyed. and that's being polite. All the work I've put in and all the help from you guys over the last six months. Not to mention the money I've spent. and she goes and shoves a big end through the front of the block.

As we were on the side of the M11 the RAC told us we were a priority but it was still 1hr 15mins before a patrolman phoned to say that he was coming but couldn't help as he can't even tow a Xantia.

When he arrived his inspection took less than three seconds (that really was all that was necessary) before climbing the embankment to join us and apologise that the control centre hadn't just sent a flat-bed recovery truck in the first place. It seems us mere mortals can't be trusted to diagnose a catastrophic engine failure and a patrolman must be sent to confirm or fix (yeah - fix that by the side of the road).

Still, all frustrations and standing in cold winds aside, the guys at the sharp end were fantastic and even though the RAC's procedures may be a nightmare - they did get us home and our policy did only cost 12 quid so money well spent by SWMBO.

If anyone's interested in any of her organs please pm me or see

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 482#218482

and may she (or bits of her) live again.

SWMBO is currently eyeballing a Xara on eBay ath the mo so I may be around the forums for a bit longer.

MikeM
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Why not just drop a replacement engine in Mike?
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

i have an engine out of a 95 td xantia that you can have cheap if that helps
MikeM
My Cars:

Post by MikeM »

myglaren wrote:Why not just drop a replacement engine in Mike?
Thought about it for all of 2 seconds. Really, I'd love to and I know I'd enjoy doing it but I just don't have the facilities to do another major job. Not to mention the cost of the clutch and gearbox and CVJs which I would definitely want to do at the same time.

Time is the other factor, SWMBO needs a legal motor within a couple of days not the 2 weeks to a month I would undoubtedly take.

If anyone wants her (the car not SWMBO) to do themselves get in touch quick before I start breaking.

MikeM
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear what happened Mike :(

Still, rather than just carting her off to the knackers, you're offering lifesavers to others and that's good. Not died in vain.

Any views or thoughts on what caused the engine to die so catastrophically? It's a relatively unusual failure for a conrod (I presume it was a conrod) to let go.

There was a case of a batch of bad Conrods in some DHY (I think) engines but as far as I know they were never in any Xantias; used in some NA 306s if the old memory is good...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeM
My Cars:

Post by MikeM »

CitroJim wrote:Sorry to hear what happened Mike :(

Any views or thoughts on what caused the engine to die so catastrophically? It's a relatively unusual failure for a conrod (I presume it was a conrod) to let go.
Not sure Jim. I haven't looked inside yet but there is a gaping hole in the front and something came through far enough and forceful enough to destroy the starter motor into the bargain.

Looking down through this hole can be seen a big end although not much detail about it's condition or whether it's still connected to the crank, but it's also possible to see past the big end through a hole in the sump to the ground so more damage below too. (I'm assuming that the sump is still there)

MikeM
MikeM
My Cars:

Post by MikeM »

CitroJim wrote:Any views or thoughts on what caused the engine to die so catastrophically? ...
I got someone showing interest in the cylinder head, so if I do take that off I'll be in a better position to see what went wrong and let you know.

I have to admit, the curiosity is killing me - I hate not knowing!

MikeM
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Sad news Mike.

Sounds like the conrod came away from the piston and has punched out two holes before it was stopped.

Very rare to see that on a xantia. Seen it on 1 transit once that still kind of ran on 3 cylinders enough to get me to the Ford dealership.
The van did spend the last 5 months before that doing 40 miles each way up the M6 with myfoot firmly on the floor to keep its speed up which probably didnt help!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My lad put a conrod through the side of the block in his first car, a Fester 1.25 Zetec.

It was his own fault. The car used oil and he used to leave topping up until the oil light came on going round corners.

One time the bonnet stuck shut and he drove it home from Cardiff with an almost dry sump. I refilled it but the damage was done.; it was knocking a bit..

He took it back to Cardiff and a week later it expired at 70MPH. Bang!

Conrod straight through and into the side of the starter funnily enough. Wrecked the starter.

The car lives on to this day following an engine transplant.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

There's plenty of 1997-early 98 306's with 'the dreaded DHY' engine where they've thrown a conrod through the block. This is the only reason I'd never own an R reg xud engined car!!