Diesel question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hammerong
My Cars:

Diesel question

Post by hammerong »

I got my AX, the oil is white and the exhaust is smokey so I think it's safe to say the headgasket is blown.

I'm gunna drive it til it stops working then install the 1.5 diesel lump out of the 106. I was just wondering, apart from the engine (obviously) what other parts are needed to do a diesel conversion?

Can I use the original gearbox (I know the ratios will be off I just wanna know if it will attach to the engine and work) and engine mounts?

Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You really need the gerbox as well as the ratios, aspecially the final drive are likely to be different, it will also have a larger clutch. You need a return pipe to the tank for the leak off - if you dont already have one, a glowplug relay and a 12v feed for the fuel solonoid. The exhaust and air intake will probably be different to. If you have the donor vehicle, just transfer everything over.

Peter
siraff

Post by siraff »

I did this but it was 106 1.4 to 106 1.5.
The exhaust is different (larger and fits differently), some of the water hoses were different, diesel lines (maybe only opne but I swapped both) and some of the engine electrics - but the engine loom plugged in the same so I just left the loom on the engine.
I used the gearbox, too but the 1.4 one does fit.
I didn't notice a lot of difference in the ratio's but the 1.5 was a hell of a lot more sprightly and used a fair bit less fuel too. Its a much better engine.
hammerong
My Cars:

Post by hammerong »

Ok thanks, sounds like I'll just buy a donor vehicle. As far as exhausts go, I can fabricate exhaust systems easy enough.