Warning Lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wharfius1

Warning Lights

Post by wharfius1 »

I bought my first Citroen C5 2.0hdi (2001) back in November and it has been excellent so far, accept for recently when I start it in the mornings it beeps three times the light next to the oil temperature flashes and the STOP light illuminates. This only last for a few seconds as soon as you drive the lights go out and the car drives as normal. Any idea what fault this is?

Many Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just been to check mine and I have no light next to the oil temperature gauge, the nearest being the STOP indicator. Have you the handbook as it should be described in there.
wharfius1

Post by wharfius1 »

Thanks for getting back to me, you are absolutely right it's not the oil temperature its the coolant temperature, far left on the instrument as you look at it. However the coolant temperature never reads abnormal temperature. Any ideas, I have the book but it suggests its overheating but it can't be because it only happens when you first switch the engine on?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Checked my panel again and there is no indicator visible on the water temperature guage but page 43 of the manual shows an orange one there that according to page 46 is the ESP/ASR warning - orange triangle with a skiddy car in it - very hard for me to see on the photo of the instrument panel though so could be in error there.

Which model do you have? Mine's an SX and apparently is not equipped with ESP/ASR.

(Looked all over the place for the manual, should be in the driver's seat undertray but wasn't - right next to me in the top drawer of the desk - typical :( )

ETA:

According to page 58 there are two associated warnings that should appear on the info screen.
1) ESP/ASR Not Functioning.

Advice is to take to a dealer to get the problem checked.

2) ESP/ASR Deactivated

There should be an ESP/ASR button located in front of and to the left of the gearstick. Try operating it and see what happens, could be just turned off. If it was an actual fault then I expect it would be lit continuously.
wharfius1

Post by wharfius1 »

I found the light on page 41 of the manual, it is not obviously visable its a small red cricle that lights up about a centimeter away from the red part of the coolant guage. It lights up in the same why the fuel one does when you are low on fuel. The thing is I'm not low on coolant so the only reason it would light up would be if it was overheating I imagine, either that or the sensor is broken?

Not sure what model is think it's probably an SX too, its the standard 2.0hdi 110bhp.

I know what you mean about the manual, mine was in the glove box but covered in dirt from when it aided my changing a wheel by the side of the road :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Our manuals differ then.
Page 40 shows parts of the panel but deals only with interior lighting. Page 41 is all shots of the multifunction display set into the speedo, mainly dealing with service intervals.

Although there is nothing visible on mine one of the photo's with a slightly different layout has a red dot against the temp guage and the associated blurb does indeed say that it is a high temperature/low coolant level warning.
Best check your coolant level!

Mine comes up with this info on the centre display panel.

Judging by the panels I am going to assume that yours is an LX - does it have an indicator more or less within the tachometer showing which suspension heoght is selected?

The model index should be on the bit of black trim on the rear doors, above the handle.