Drilled Airbox Mod - XUD9

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

LOL guys obviously this chap thinks it works why not let him keep believing it and we can all take the mik when his air filter fails due to hot air being sucked in ( I work mann filters ( sorry i cant get any cheap ive tried) )
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

The standard ram air setup works fine, as already said adding hot air is a waste of time.

A previous bodger owner of my xantia had drilled the airbox, made no difference in power :lol: i changed it back to std with no difference apart from less noise :wink:

The only worthwhile upgrade on standard setup may be uprated element depending on material.

V6 berlingo i hear you say Jim, would make a nice parts carrier. Next project? :wink:
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

To be honest changing the element material doesn't make enough difference to be noticeable in performance or economy unless you make a mod as segnifficant as a K&N mod the only real difference in changing the material of the the ellement is the life span and to be totally honest its not worth paying the extra cash compared to the difference in life span you'd be just as well attempting to clean the old one with a vacume cleaner for all the difference it makes
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Talking of Berlingo V6's

Not quite a Berlingo but it's Peugeot sister....

http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB2/v ... hp?t=25613
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Yes, no-one has mentioned that a K&N filter will add power to the set-up and hence there are gains to be had from altering the airflow.

So can anyone say how they do this?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

rmunns wrote:Yes, no-one has mentioned that a K&N filter will add power to the set-up and hence there are gains to be had from altering the airflow.

Larger surface area and less restrictive material so more air can get through.
Thing is, Xantias for instance have a huge air filter anyway, so I doubt it will make enough of a diference to justify the cost.
Replacing a CAT with a straight pipe would be cheaper and give more of a performance boost.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

rmunns wrote:Yes, no-one has mentioned that a K&N filter will add power to the set-up and hence there are gains to be had from altering the airflow.

An air filter restricts the flow of air, a paper filter is relatively thick whereas a K&N filter is thin cotton gauze so less restriction to the airflow. The degree of power gain through fitting a K&N type filter depends upon the size/surface area of the original filter, the smaller the original filter the bigger the gain through fitting a K&N. In the case of a Xantia the filter surface area is already quite large so any gains in power through fitting a K&N filter will be minimal.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'll take K&N filter off my eBay watching list!
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Fitting a K&N element to an airbox with sufficient volume and feed will gain very little. Its already been mentioned that the standard paper filter is large enough to cope with the volume of air required for the engine.

K&N elements are often smaller than their paper counterparts, this has the effect of increasing the volume of air inside the airbox, but if the standard filter (when new) flows enough air, then there is going to be no power increase detectable, apart replacing the old clogged elements.

However a K&N does flow better than a paper filter when clogged, so performance will be maintained over a longer period. This would be my reason for fitting one. Because the air volume in the filter box has changed, so does the induction noise, so they sound a bit better too.

Any gain you make on improving the induction will come from changing where the air feed sucks its air from. The more cold air you can get to the engine, the better it will perform.

I never changed the filter set up on my Activa. It was big enough, and the feed to it isnt too bad. The Xantia i would look at improving in this area would be the V6.
siraff

Post by siraff »

Sorry but I don't think the thread poster understands how a diesel works.
The airbox is not restrictive on a berlingo in any way. You could take the intake off altogether and nothing would happen.
Diesel's burn diesel. To make more power they need more fuel. If you have done nothing with the fueling it won't make any extra power. It may rev more freely if you get rid of the cat/etc but to be honest I doubt that will be restrictive on a non turbo either.
Drilling holes in the airbox is something that's turned up in boy racer circles. Its the new K+N - something which will also net you a gain of pretty much nothing on most modern engines.

Think of it the other way. Car makers throw millions (sometimes billions) into R+D when they make a car. If there was a gain to be had for free by moulding some extra holes in the airbox do you really think they wouldn't have already done it?

Anyway if you want more power turn the screw.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

siraff wrote:Sorry but I don't think the thread poster understands how a diesel works.
The airbox is not restrictive on a berlingo in any way. You could take the intake off altogether and nothing would happen.
Diesel's burn diesel. To make more power they need more fuel. If you have done nothing with the fueling it won't make any extra power. It may rev more freely if you get rid of the cat/etc but to be honest I doubt that will be restrictive on a non turbo either.
Drilling holes in the airbox is something that's turned up in boy racer circles. Its the new K+N - something which will also net you a gain of pretty much nothing on most modern engines.

Think of it the other way. Car makers throw millions (sometimes billions) into R+D when they make a car. If there was a gain to be had for free by moulding some extra holes in the airbox do you really think they wouldn't have already done it?

Anyway if you want more power turn the screw.
i bought my xantia with no history or receipts for any work at all so after running it for a while i noticed the revs were constant at 1000rpm tickover hot or cold so i went and started from the top checking all the relavant settings to find the fast idle lever was maladjusted it didn't release at normal temp so it was duly reset now its fine
anyway back to the point as it was set wrong it was running richer than it should and yes it was a little better in power but it was also very anti people as the black smoke out of the back at half throttle was not only embarrasing but very good at attracting the ministries attention as it looked like it was running on red they weren't very pleased when they dipped it and found it was indeed on white :lol:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

tonupteabag wrote: i bought my xantia with no history or receipts for any work at all so after running it for a while i noticed the revs were constant at 1000rpm tickover hot or cold so i went and started from the top checking all the relavant settings to find the fast idle lever was maladjusted it didn't release at normal temp so it was duly reset now its fine
anyway back to the point as it was set wrong it was running richer than it should and yes it was a little better in power but it was also very anti people as the black smoke out of the back at half throttle was not only embarrasing but very good at attracting the ministries attention as it looked like it was running on red they weren't very pleased when they dipped it and found it was indeed on white :lol:
The maladjusted fast idle lever would have probably been a broken fast idle electrovalve, common problem on the Bosch Diesel Xantias. It doesn't make the fuel mix richer, just increases the engine speed a tad.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

red_dwarfers wrote:
tonupteabag wrote: i bought my xantia with no history or receipts for any work at all so after running it for a while i noticed the revs were constant at 1000rpm tickover hot or cold so i went and started from the top checking all the relavant settings to find the fast idle lever was maladjusted it didn't release at normal temp so it was duly reset now its fine
The maladjusted fast idle lever would have probably been a broken fast idle electrovalve, common problem on the Bosch Diesel Xantias. It doesn't make the fuel mix richer, just increases the engine speed a tad.
no it wasn't broken someone had adjusted it before the engine had got to temp i readjusted it and it is now working exactly as it should ie 1000rpm cold 800rpm warm and a significant drop in smoke opacity :wink:
honda cb900 x3
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

tonupteabag wrote: no it wasn't broken someone had adjusted it before the engine had got to temp i readjusted it and it is now working exactly as it should ie 1000rpm cold 800rpm warm and a significant drop in smoke opacity :wink:
Ah fair enough, proper job!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

ah now i understand the "proper job" term :) i see your not too far away from me whereabouts in exeter are you? i know rockbeare quite well as i have friends over there :D
honda cb900 x3