Diesel PRices

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Drive it at a steay 60 mph Paul and it will give 50+ :D Mine do better than my wifs ZX.

Peter
John Plum
My Cars:

speed

Post by John Plum »

Clear motorways, and I find distinct difference in consumption when keeping to around 60-65. That's seemingly slow of course, but the amazing thing is - I think you may not believe this - but I SEEM to get there faster at that relaxed, 'couldn't give a damn', no worry-no hurry, speed! I beleive it's something to do with 'Time Warp' but I can't seem to find that term in the owners' manual.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The arrival time difference for most journeys between doing 60mph and 70mph is usually only a few minutes.
It's only when you really put your foot down that it starts knocking off a considerable amount of time from the journey time, but then it costs a lot more, especially if you have those nice men with christmas lights on their car behind you.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That's quite right. In my much younger days I did like to put my foot down but when my work entailed me covering about 30k per year I found it was much less stressful and more fuel efficient to drive in the slow lane at about 60. I wasn't in to much of a hurry then as I was self employed, even less now I am retired, still doing neary 20k, mostly leisure motoring and regularly achieving 800+ miles per tankful, I think 1000 would be quite attainable with really careful driving.

Peter
John Plum
My Cars:

Music in the Time Warp

Post by John Plum »

The arrival time difference for most journeys between doing 60mph and 70mph is usually only a few minutes.
Yes, I'd agree. It has to be over eighty all the way to make a substantial difference, and then not so much.

I like the way you describe your relaxed driving, Peter.

In no sense am i 'slowing down' in life, but foot down on the pedal is stressful, when compared to the relaxed sixty-ish, which is not stressful in any way; The quality of contemplation then approaches the zen of motorcycle. You're body becomes more part of the car, you're not trying to get out of the motorway ugliness or seeking entertainment; you become something like a demi-god with a smile even for personal adversity.

All problems seem to be solvable, funny, and what's more in a thoughtless state, I enjoy seeing people drive past me. That's right - and I don't know why.
I consider myself a fair fast driver, short and long distance (1,000's), and relatively safe with it - able to lock into sustained long concentration. But it's all so pointless, and I couldn't say I am fresher when I arrive in a shorter time.
In the car it's really nice to have a flask of tea handy - pistachio nuts, eh? , perhaps a pipe of quality flake, if you enjoy a smoke. For those like me I mean that don't get fuel in 'petrol stations' and then grab sweets just because you're there: they don't even have pipe tobacco - unseeing eye of the silver screen.

Another thing I like on a journey over 150 miles is a salad sandwich. Beetroot is brilliant. Add some cos lettuce, touch of salt, and it's a sensation riot. It may be illegal, or found to be, if it catches on.

Even music doesn't matter in the Time Warp...:!: though an iphone/ipod is useful if you suddenly want to play 'Travellin in style' (the Free) or something more moody of theirs 'Come Together in the Morning' : try as I might I can't feel sad. Or Some useful podcast of something you need to re-hearse in order to beat the system perhaps. You can always switch it off it disturbs perfect serenity.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual