Diesel PRices

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Diesel PRices

Post by boristhespie »

Witht eh government now starting the fuel price escalator for tax and spend (sorry ecological) purposes maybe it would be good to hear what the prices are besides everyone for PEtrol AND Diesel.

I go through a 1.5-1.75 tanks a week, there is no train or bus to get me to work so no choice. It's getting expensive. I will look tomorrow but the last time it was 121p per litre and more elsewhere.

How about you guys.
C'est pas possible!
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

£1.19 here per litre of diesel and petrol (North Wales). I use £15 a week in fuel for commuting, which is a 20 mile round trip. Car only does 30mpg though. Would like a smaller engine car since it's only a work horse.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Around £1.18 for diesel round here (Bradford)But what really pee's me off is Tesco's selling it for more than a local Total garage. really bugs me that.Its time the motorist started fighting back blocking roads stopping traffic having a week off from buying any diesel or petrol,But sadly we don't have the balls here to do it.Unlike the French they would be out in the streets causing havoc.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I generally do 400-450 miles on a tank full - refill when the indicator comes on and typically around 65 litres. Mainly short trips.
Currently using V-power @£1.21/L

Current lowest price diesel here is £1.15 for Shell. Shell (at several stations) has been consistently the lowest price diesel around here for the last six months. Total is occasionally a copper or two less.

Sign up for Petrol Prices.com (free) for the lowest prices in your locality. They send an email with the five cheapest stations updated twice a week. You can look online at any area too.
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

This is a copy of an email I recieved yesterday. They do have a good point :!:

This WILL actually work, if we all act as a group.

The price of oil is as low as it has been for a while, the oil companies have simply jacked their prices up and the government will not do anything as they rake in extra VAT for every increase.

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 120.9 a litre in some areas now, and soon we will be faced with paying 1.50 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... .

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 90p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just join this group and get all your friends to join or forward as an email to everyone in your address book, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e.. boycott BP and Esso
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Where's that from Ken? Looks like a typical Brendan McLoughlin message but I can't recall seeing it.
Might help if anyone here interested could participate.
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

myglaren wrote:Where's that from Ken? Looks like a typical Brendan McLoughlin message but I can't recall seeing it.
Might help if anyone here interested could participate.
No idea really, it was just forwarded from a friend of mine. It does carry a good point though :?
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That e-mail has been doing the rounds for quite a few years - pops back up every time there is a price spike (I rather suspect this might be more than a spike at the moment :cry: )

Sadly it will have burger all effect. I wrote this on another list this morning, when the same e-mail was floated in:

Government 'needs' the money - fuel tax or income tax or VAT - take your choice. At least fuel tax and VAT are partially discretionary (you can elect to drive a more fuel efficient car / drive less, you can not buy that 40" flatscreen TV etc). Mind you, it would be better if they just admitted that they need the money to support the behemoth that state handouts and debt repayments has become, rather than trying to pretend it's 'green' taxes...but that's way OT! I am still struggling to understand exactly what the 'value added' part of fuel tax is though, since we pay VAT on the fuel duty - that's a good wheeze, double taxation, perhaps they'll roll it out elsewhere!

Still, it seems I 'elect' to buy c3000 litres of diesel a year, and therefore contribute 'discretionary' taxes nearing £3k to HMG :twisted: I buy Shell, because it's at the end of the road, and generally cheapest. Of course, it's made at Ineos's Grangemouth refinery, so not really Shell at all - but that's a whole 'nother thread to its self!

Fuel tax is not going away any time soon :roll:
Richard W
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

£1.20>£1.23 down here but tesco is cheaper for veg oil at the moment (can't find a bookers cardholder yet) :wink:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

£1.249 for V-power petrol on Thursday.
Normal UL and Diesel are both £1.199 at local ESSO and Shell stations today.

I bought 12 litres of veg oil from Tesco for £10 last night. (0.833ppl)
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Typical price here is £1.17 per liter, have seen as cheap as £1.15, and as high as £1.19 same for diesel and petrol. LPG comes in at 62p per liter. A couple of years ago when I first purchased my 1.8 I could fill the LPG tank for £18, now its almost £30.

I agree the prices are crazy, but unlikely to drop, things never get cheaper, its the way of things, money simply de-values, go back even 70 years and £1 was a decent amount of money, go back further it was weeks wages.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

MikeT wrote:£1.249 for V-power petrol on Thursday.

ditto :lol:
honda cb900 x3
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

ken newbold wrote:This is a copy of an email I recieved yesterday. They do have a good point :!:

This WILL actually work, if we all act as a group.

If you Google for this email you'll see that it's been around for nearly ten years. Last time I saw it the writer was grousing because diesel had hit .89ppl.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

superloopy1 wrote:
MikeT wrote:£1.249 for V-power petrol on Thursday.

Veggie better than sunflower, both on offer?
don't know but the sunflower looks a little thinner i suppose the old girl should have the best :lol:
honda cb900 x3
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Sunflower is a little bit thinner than Rapeseed ('Vegetable') oil but no noticeable difference. When i first started running veg in my old TD, i used Corn oil before they jacked the price up. Great smell!

A few weeks back, i got 350 miles to £47 of diesel in the Transit. Thats not too bad, and whilst its gone up since then, it will simply make me drive slower. I'm already doing no faster than 60mph cruising, you get used to it after a while.