Synergie 1.9 TD Tacho bouncing at switch on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

khand
My Cars:

Synergie 1.9 TD Tacho bouncing at switch on

Post by khand »

Although I've been a member of this forum for some time, having aquired a dead Xantia TD, iI don't seem to have had the time to do much at it (Broke cambelt and bent valves).

My existing TD from Vauxhall is about to expire (Corrosion), so I've bought what ought to be a moderate Synergie with a bad clutch and bad glow plugs.

I've managed to persuade it to start, and when running seems to confirm diagnosis of middle ripped out of clutch. Before I worked the starter however, I noticed the tacho was bouncing around in quite a volatile manner. It occurs to me that the tacho might be trying to communicate with the driver as to faults and errors or the like. Or maybe not of course.

Has anyone else had such a bouncing tacho??
Are they designed to communicate?

Regards
Kevin Cannock Staffs
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Kevin,

I would make a fair guess that the clutch has been damaged through someone trying to bump start it due to the duff glowplugs/starting issues :twisted:

The tacho bouncing problem, given the engine runs smoothly otherwise will be down to either the needle lift sensor (on injector No.3) or the TDC sensor (on the gearbox bellhousing) giving bad signals. The signals from these sensors are processed by the ECU to drive the tacho amongst other things. The signal, most likely from the Needle Lift sensor, may be missing completely and this will upset timing and make for poor running.

First task has to be to check the sensors. Disconnect the needle lift sensor at it's black plug on the LH side of the cylinder head and see if the engine note changes or the tacho either dies or stabilises. If no change at all in engine note then the sensor is duff. Confirm by measuring its resistance. It should be somewhere around 100 ohms. If there is a change and the tacho dies completely then this is indicative of a duff TDC sensor although this is rare. Check its brown connector.

If the tacho is bouncing even before a start then there's a dodge connection somewhere between the ECU and tacho or a problem in the instrument binnacle wiring.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...