Xantia Reversing Lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brmartyn
My Cars: Citroen C8

Xantia Reversing Lights

Post by brmartyn »

Hi guys

Was reversing into a parking space today and a woman said to me that neither of my reversing lights were on, I have checked the fuses and both bulbs and they seem fine.

Any Suggestions? seems a bit funny both of then not working
Brady

Citroen C8 2.2 HDI Exclusive 2006/06

Previous French cars -
Renault Megane Tourer 2004/54 1.9 DCI Privilege
Citroen Xantia 1998/S 2.0 16v Exclusive Automatic
Renault Laguna Sports Tourer Dymanique 2001/51
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yours is an auto isn't it Brady...

There are two causes. Either the multifunction switch on the gearbox is out of adjustment/duff or there is a broken wire in the tailgate concertina.

Tell me, does the start inhibit work OK (i.e. you can only start in N and P) as any issues here point to the multi-function switch out of alignment.

Here's a circuit of the gearbox electrics. It shows the reversing light switch contacts.

I can post up one for the full reversing lights if it will help.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I don't know if the inhibitor switch is in the same place on these (as I'm comparing it to the early 405 and 205 auto's) however these used to suffer with corrosion (the plug, not the switch) as they were a bit exposed. Fortunately they cleaned up easily and failing that the next step was to replace (with fully insulated spade connectors as these are the same size)

I may be totally wrong in the design of this one, just throwing a bit more into the mix as it were. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, you're right Andy, the switch is on top of the gearbox over the selector shaft.

The connector is a bit exposed and may be suffering from corrosion.

In the case of the AL4 the switch also communicates selector position to the ECU as well as doing reverse lights and start inhibit. It's a complex old thing..

It is at risk from coolant leaks getting on top of the gearbox.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
brmartyn

Post by brmartyn »

CitroJim wrote:Yours is an auto isn't it Brady...

There are two causes. Either the multifunction switch on the gearbox is out of adjustment/duff or there is a broken wire in the tailgate concertina.

Tell me, does the start inhibit work OK (i.e. you can only start in N and P) as any issues here point to the multi-function switch out of alignment.

Here's a circuit of the gearbox electrics. It shows the reversing light switch contacts.

I can post up one for the full reversing lights if it will help.
Hi Jim

Yes you are right it is an automatic and yes the car will not start unless it is in N or P (I have checked this morning)
Brady

Previous French cars -
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

if everything seems fine just change the bulbs as they arent dear and you know definately that the back isnt at fault and the problem does lie with wiring or inhibitor switch just my opinion :)
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
brmartyn

Post by brmartyn »

tonupteabag wrote:if everything seems fine just change the bulbs as they arent dear and you know definately that the back isnt at fault and the problem does lie with wiring or inhibitor switch just my opinion :)
Bulbs are both fine
Brady

Previous French cars -
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W