Xantia V6 Smells of Petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Xantia V6 Smells of Petrol

Post by DHallworth »

Hello!

We've got a Series 1 V6 24v Xantia which seems to be using an immense amount of petrol.

When you are parking or going round a corner it smells really strongly of raw petrol.

I've had it up on the ramp in the workshop with it running and I can't find anything anywhere that appears to be dripping or anything.

Has anybody experienced this sort of thing before? I was wondering about replacing the fuel lines on it but thought I'd ask here.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Look at the front edge of the OSR wheelarch where the fuel pipe goes into the tank.

Also pull up the rear seat and look at the tank pump/sender closure for signs of leakage.

Check your motor mounts and the junctures between hard line and rubber flex down low on the firewall - excessive engine movement may strain them.

Examine the infeed and return lines where they are mounted to the fuel rail or regulator.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi David,

I'd suggest rather than a leak, you are running a very rich mixture. V6s do smell very "petroley" when cold and running rich.

First ports of call would be manifold leaks. On the Mk1 there is a blanked-off spigot on the rear (RH) side of the inlet manifold. The blanking cap often perishes and lets in air. Basically, any air leaks will upset the mixture as the mixture is under MAP control. It might be an idea to check the connector to the MAP sensor (rear of inlet manifold LH side) is nicely home.

Do you have a Lexia or access to one? It would be good to check the coolant temperature sensor is not telling the ECU porkies and keeping the mixture too rich.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Hi Jim,

I've got a Lexia so I'll stick it on the car on Wednesday and see what I can find.

It's just the way that it smells worse after going round a corner or braking that made me think it was a leak.

I'm pretty sure it's got a vacuum leak now you mention it, the car has a habit of revving itself occasionally and it doesn't sound quite like it's running "right".

I'll have a good poke around and see what I can find when I'm next off work.

Thanks again!

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The blanking plug that Jim speaks of was perished on mine David. It came away in my hand when I had a pull at it....I just made a new one. It sounds like overfueling. I am getting over 30mpg on the long runs mate with this one........... unless I am Chastising Chavs :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Smells of petrol when going around corners may come from spillage of petrol accumulated in the recess around the fuel pump.
The pump outlet may be split.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

All good points!

I'll give it a good going over on Wednesday when I'm off.

Has anyone else noticed the petrol pin on theirs talks gibberish?

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
nejati2010
My Cars:

Hi

Post by nejati2010 »

Hi,

I smell the same from my Citroen Xantia 2.0 (automatic) sometimes. How much is a normal consumption for these cars, so that I can check if mine is over-consuming or not. Can anyone tell please?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

the petrol pin on theirs talks gibberish?
Yes, it does, and I ran out of petrol twice without warning.

@ nejati: Xantia 2.0i automatic with air conditioning on in city driving or crawling: nearly 10 l/100 km.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Clogzz wrote:
the petrol pin on theirs talks gibberish?
Yes, it does, and I ran out of petrol twice without warning.
Must say, in all the Xantiae I have owned over the years, none have had badly inaccurate fuel gauges. Mind you, in a V6 or an Activa the needle gets plenty of exercise so maybe that keeps it fit, a bit like Citarobics for fuel gauges...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The only fuel leak I've had on the V6 was from a split hose where it connects to the injector rail, might be worth a look there.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Hi

Post by spider »

nejati2010 wrote:Hi,

I smell the same from my Citroen Xantia 2.0 (automatic) sometimes. How much is a normal consumption for these cars, so that I can check if mine is over-consuming or not. Can anyone tell please?
If your's is the 16v engine, the fuel pipes where they are around the timing belt (the plastic square joins) can leak here. There was a recall on some 406's actually for this from memory (same engine) although not many were effected, I think only a certain build code around 98.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Hi

Post by VertVega »

Sorry DHallworth, don't know about V6 but answering to nejati2010's post.
nejati2010 wrote:I smell the same from my Citroen Xantia 2.0 (automatic) sometimes...
In mine, fuel pressure regulator hoses (on top of engine) leaked and
as a solution I replaced clips as seen in pic :wink: Problem solved.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual